• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A different view on fish pics!

I just wanted to give everyone an idea when it comes to taking fish photos. Here's three different views of fish that Dad caught last fall...It takes some thought before the time comes and you've got to be quick but instead of grabbing the net...grab the camera. You might just come away with some very awesome pics to enjoy for a long time, versus the standard "look at me holding the fish" pics. It's not that they're not special too, but magazine type shots are there if you are ready for them when they happen.

brightbassspin2ej.jpg

image26fd.jpg

image99pj.jpg

Worst,

I have a couple of cameras that I use for my photography. Currently I shoot mostly with my digital Nikon D70 and an assortment of Sigma lenses in differing lengths, I also shoot film with a Nikon F5 and the same lenses. These shots were all taken on Fuji slide film last fall with the F5.

Hey Tom,

Lets just say I know this guy who accidently dropped his 25 year old Contax SLR in the drink last week. wink.gif

It was underwater for about 7 minutes and it went down 7-8ft deep. I...., I mean this guy, took out the batteries and film right away, popped off the Zeiss lens and let it air dry in the sun while he continued fishing. He says the lens looks shot, but he was wondering if there is any chance of the camera working in the future without any major problems?? What do you think? I'm giving it a good couple of weeks before I put the batteries back in and turn it on. I've got other lenses that I can use. Is it wishful thinking that I'll still have a working camera??

Duffman,

I hate to say it, but typically anything with electronics in it is shot if it hits the water. That's why I'm on my second D70. With that being said if that camera is 25 years old the batteries might have only ran your exposure meter. I am not familiar with Contax cameras, but I'm assuming it is an older rangefinder type with the electronic arm that shows exposure level like the old pentax equipment. The first thing would be whether or not it was on when it hit the water, electronics with batteries on means your probably looking for a new camera. The zeiss lens actually could probably be sent to zeiss and fixed, but is it worth it? The camera if it is mostly manual, might also be fixable, but at what cost. Personally, it has been my experience that just drying it out won't work for you. I wish you luck, but I think you're gonna be shopping for a new camera. Besides it's time to go digital. Makes posting pics a whole lot easier. I have a warranty that covers my D70 for everything under the sun including water damage, but I have nothing on my F5 so I am very careful with it. I couln't imagine how much that would hurt to lose that thing, and I'm sure you're camera had some attachment value as well.

He would be better off going and buying it used than trying to get it working. My freind at work had the same setup....nice contax body and some superb manual focus prime zeiss lens. I finally talked him into digital after he saw some of my pics and I was taking 100 pics for every one of his. Long story short...when he went to sell his film and manual (exceelent quality glass) the market was very poor....basically pennies on the $$$. He finally found a buyer but still took a big discount. So check the used market for the antique stuff wink.gif or as Tom said go digital.

I am going on a BWCA trip in a few weeks and will be taking my equipment with....about 3k worth. If you have not checked them out Pelican cases (do an internet search) are the way to go. They are watertight, float and offer good physical protection. They have all sizes and shapes. A great investment.

Thanks guys,

I've got a Cannon A95 digital and I love it. It's just difficult to take solo pictures of myself and a fish in a canoe with it. That's the reason the Contax came out of the mothballs, had it up on a tri-pod, guess I shouldn't have rocked the boat baby. cool.gif

Here here on the Pelican cases. I keep all of the camera gear in one when I'm out duck hunting. For two years it has kept my stuff flawlessly watertight and they are indestructible. After last years swim and the ruined cell phone, I now have one for my cell phone as well.

Tom,

I was looking at the forum and realized that we have a couple of your pictures on the wall at the cabin. We love them and may want to add to our collection. My wife got them from you at work about a year ago. She's wondering what you are up to. Our email is [email protected].

I agree that fish photos certainly can be interesting or different then the "conventional" way of the guy holding the fish...I usually fish alone out of a canoe but still would like an occasional photo of the fish I just may catch that particular day.....here's an example...no the pic is only a "snake" northern but still nice to look at......swallowed my popper while top water fishing for large mouth....

2005_0728Image0005copy.jpg

Thanks,

I remember Jackie was very excited when she bought those prints last year. I never got to speak to you, but it's cool that you are here on FM. I have really been able to do a lot more with the photography since I switched to digital and most of work still revolves around birds. I am going to make eagles my priority for this winter (well after the ducks and geese are gone). Let her know I said hi!, and am doing well. By the way, if you see anything else on here that you might want, just let me know through a personal e-mail. I'm hoping to have the photography site back up by this coming spring.

Tom W