• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.44 magnum revolver

russ

I'll tell you what I recommend.

The new S&W .460. I've shot it a bunch. It is built on the Model 500's x frame revolver. You can also shoot .45 Long Colt and .454 Casull through it.

When you shoot the .460 through it, you'll get more energy and velocity at 200 yards that the .44 mag produces at the muzzle!!!

It's kind of like wearing a 7mm08 (or better) on your hip. Fan-freaking-tastic! ooo.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifooo.gif

I own a Ruger Super Redhawk with 7 inch barrel and love it. Good balance and I love the grip. I have a laser sight and use it for bear. I owned the same gun with a 9 inch barrel but the front was too heavy and pulled the muzzle down. My wife was going to buy me a 500 S & W but I told her not to (dumb of me). I told her it wouldn't be practical for me. The only thing in MN I would try to shoot with that would be a moose plus it is expensive to shoot.

Wow, this is a loaded question. wink.gif

I have a S&W .500 and like it.

Heavy and very mild recoil for that size cal.

Also, the 454's kick harder than the .500.

The 44 is a versitale (sp) cal. - you can get the matching rifle in that cal as well for brush busting fun~

Oh, and shells aren't $2/pc either!

B2

I have a Ruger Redhawk stainless with a 5 1/2" barrel and I absolutely love it. It has taken many deer over the years as well as two black bears. I used to hunt with a Ruger Super Blackhawk with the long barrel (10-inch, I think) and a scope, but that was to big and clumsy for me. I really like the short barrel and open sights.

I have a S&W 629, and two Ruger super blackhawks. For me, the Ruger's are what I like to hunt with. They can take heavy loads all day long, and will handle heavy bullets with no problems at all. The S&W is a great gun, but after shooting up a blue S&W29 by a steady diet of heavy loads, I use heavy loads spairingly in the 629, and shoot mainly 900-1000fps loads with 240gr bullets for plinking and hunting backup.