• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prove It's The Right Thing To Do

Dave

Off-road vehicles to roam more state forest trails

Tom Meersman, Star Tribune

July 26, 2005 ATV0726

A new law that goes into effect next week will split Minnesota into two regions regarding off-road vehicles, with different rules and regulations for off-road driving in state forests.

Under a previous law enacted in 2003, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources was required to designate trail systems in each of the state's forests in the next few years. As that system was identified, all-terrain vehicles and other drivers statewide would be allowed to ride only where motorized trail signs were posted.

But the law taking effect Aug. 1 changes those rules for state forests north of U.S. Hwy. 2, which contain about 74 percent of the total land in the state forest system. In that northern tier of the state, off-road drivers now will not be confined to a state motorized trail system. They will able to continue to take their vehicles on any state forest trails, as they do now, except for areas that are posted closed for safety or environmental reasons.

Off-road vehicles are not allowed in state parks, wildlife management areas, or scientific and natural areas anywhere in the state, with a handful of exceptions. The new law pertains only to state forests, not to county lands, where regulations differ widely, or to national forest land, where officials are developing generally stricter rules.

DNR Deputy Commissioner Mark Holsten said that even though riders north of Hwy. 2 will be able to drive legally on unmarked trails in northern state forests, the agency will still put up signs for "official" trails in that region for those who prefer to follow a mapped system.

Holsten said the agency has completed an inventory of trails in all state forests and will continue to roll out its recommendations for the official system, forest by forest, at public meetings during the next couple of years.

Those who proposed the less restrictive rules for northern forest trails included several northern Minnesota legislators and rider groups. They argued that it may be appropriate to require drivers to stay only on marked trails in central and southern Minnesota forests that receive more traffic. But they said those rules are not necessary for northern forests, which are much larger and have fewer drivers.

However, critics have said the new policy in the north will allow uncontrolled use of ATVs and other off-road vehicles on public lands, and that it will be virtually impossible to stop illegal cross-country travel and wetlands damage.

Holsten acknowledged that DNR enforcement may be somewhat more difficult under the new rules, but he said the agency is working on ways to educate riders as it develops the trail system. "This is not a total walkaway on DNR's part," he said. "There are going to continue to be changes coming north of Highway 2 on the use and management of ATVs."

I ask that all ATVers continue to ride on the trails and with responsibility and respect for the wetlands and others enjoying the forests. This does not allow you to ride off trails. Don't let the hard work of others that supported and fought for this change in law go to waste. If you see a rider doing wrong, do your part and talk to them. Or, turn them in.

quote'

However, critics have said the new policy in the north will allow uncontrolled use of ATVs and other off-road vehicles on public lands, and that it will be virtually impossible to stop illegal cross-country travel and wetlands damage.

I bet these critics are from the twin cities and mrr.

the citizens of the northern part of the state rely on wheelers for there economy. but if your from the cities, who cares about anyone else. selfish thinking and actions from a few rich twin city people make me sick.

..........and now in the new transportation bill they have put $2.3 million for the long awaited hwy 169 improvement from Coleraine to Pengilly...no wait a minute, it's only going as far as the Scenic Hwy. Probably out of money because they gave $2.7 million to finish the bike trail from Grand Rapids to Ely plus $1.3 million for a visitors center in Eveleth. What ever happened to the "users pay" mantra they have been pushing on ATVers for the last 5 years?

What a rip off.

Maybe bikers should pay a license fee to ride these trails. How about $10 a year. Funny, the people that get use these trails don't have to pay to use them. Just think of all the money the state would make if they did this. I'm not knocking bikers. I think its great they have there own place to ride. I'm just asking why they can't pay like the rest of us.

Eiger -

they are supposed to pay to ride the Mesaba Trail. They ran a survey a couple of years ago where they bragged about 50000 users on the trail blah blah blah. But if you look in the report further, you see where they only collected a few thousand bucks for fees. And they talk about us being outlaws?

Also - they have a place to ride - they can ride legally on all the highways and roads. We can't.

I agree - make them pay. Maybe we could get a license fee introduced, like you say, $10/year. Then if they are caught with no license they lose their spandex and bike. 2nd offence - lose your drivers license. What a hoot it would be to see the look on the face of a few certain people over that - heh heh heh. I'm too evil, I better go make a cash donation to some charity.

Later,

Good one. I doubt it will ever happen. (Licensing bikes). Inlaws have a place in Two Harbors. You should see the cost of that project. They talk about ATV destruction of the forest, heck you should see what a D9 bulldozer does to mother earth. Then they blacktop it so it will NEVER return to its original state. Hippocrits. I read in the local paper last summer that it would cost about 2.5 million to do about a 5 mile stretch of the bike trail. The Feds were also kicking in a chunk. WOW. The users of the trails will not have to pay.

It's a problem of different philosophies I think. We see them getting free handouts from the gov't, paving over the woods, converting our long used trails to no ATVs allowed and we shrug our shoulders, curse a little and then move on. They see us get a trail approved somewhere and they organize a group, start a lawsuit, petition legislators, chain themselves to trees.

It sure will be a lot nicer around here now that we don't have the limited plan for the state forests.

Later

Goto to the snowmobile user forum. Its the last one. Check out the "State trail for snowmobilers thread". First time I heard of this one. I'm going to read the whole bill and see what the bicyclist have to pay for their trails. I'm sure its in there somewhere...

Yup that's right:

Eveleth, Mesabi Station, $1.3 million: Construct the Mesabi Station to serve as a destination visitor center. The center will include lockers and changing areas, restrooms, vending conference rooms, an information center, a gift shop and retail space, bike and roller blade rental, campgrounds, a picnic area, and secure parking.

It would have to stop on the hill by Taconite or on the other side of hill by the power line.

It can not stop in that gully or there would be so many accadents it would cost the state tens of thousands of bucks for all the law suites.

I am curious on this one but confused.gif where did it state any thing about it stopping there ?As far as I seen it is still on track to make it to the rest of the 4 lane by Pengilly.

They are still fighting the mining company to route around Bovey and come out over there by the old ball dimand.

The mine doesn't want to give up the property as they figure they can reclaim the low grade ore in that old dump next to the Lorance lake road.

Same with the mine property to the North of Snow ball, and OxHide lakes.They have posted that whole area and they do partol it as well.

So if you have any old hunting areas there your out the door now.

Beside that the new power plant is buying up the land on the South and west side of Dimand lake to build thier new plant there.

So why would the state want to jepordize the potential tax revenue to stop the free way at hwy 7?

Benny