• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ripley........Who's going?!?!

HOT OFF THE PRESS FROM THE DNR HSOforum

"The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will begin accepting applications on July 1 for the 2005 regular archery deer hunts at Camp Ripley near Little Falls. Hunters may pick from only one of two hunting seasons, Oct. 20-21 or Oct. 29-30. A total of 4,500 permits, 2,250 per two-day hunt, will be made available.

Hunters may choose from four options to apply for the Camp Ripley deer hunts:

- through the DNR's computerized Electronic Licensing System (ELS) at any one of 1,800 ELS agents located throughout Minnesota

- by telephone at 1-888-MNLICEN (665-4236)

- at the DNR License Center in St. Paul

- through the DNR's Web site at www.dnr.state.mn.us.

The application fee for the hunt is $8 per applicant. The application deadline is Aug. 19. People who apply by phone or Internet will be charged an additional convenience fee of $3.50 per transaction. This year, participants will be allowed to use bonus permits and take up to two deer during their hunt.

To apply, resident and nonresident hunters will need a valid state driver's license or state issued identification card with current address, a Firearms Safety Certificate number, or a Minnesota DNR number found on a recent Minnesota fishing and hunting license. The identification card used should reflect the hunter's current mailing address because this is where winning notifications in the computer preference drawing will be sent.

Applicants must be at least 12 years of age prior to Oct. 20. In addition, anyone born after Dec. 31, 1979, must have a Firearms Safety Certificate, a previous hunting license, or other evidence of successfully completing a hunter safety course to obtain a license to hunt or trap in Minnesota.

Hunters applying for a permit will be asked a series of questions. It is recommended that they prepare for these questions by completing a worksheet prior to making an application. Hunt application worksheets are available on the DNR's Web site, from the DNR License Bureau or from an ELS agent. Hunters may apply as individuals or as a group of up to four individuals. Group members may only apply for the same two-day season.

The archery hunt at Camp Ripley is an annual event. The DNR coordinates the hunt with the Department of Military Affairs, which manages the 53,000-acre military reservation. "

Get ready for a good time. You better get there early. I will be putting in again this year even though I vowed not to go last year. After I vowed I ended up getting a doe coming straight at my down the trail. This year I plan on picking a spot and staying there. My buddy had us running around the place last year.

Wondering how big a zoo it gets to be. Dad and uncle used to hunt there years ago. Talked a number of times with my bro about trying it sometime.

Lots of land, but it also sounds like a lotta guys. Hunting new spots always makes me wonder how many guys are gonna be 40yards away when the sun comes up, and public or not I'd hate to do that to someone who's hunted a spot for 20 years.

Woodview, You again?LOL I have it on video on the first day with all the vehicles lined up. I got there Wed 8am and there was already about 40 vehicles there. You are not suppose to be there until noon on Wed for the TH-FR hunt. The line to go down range is 2 wide and 1.5-2 miles long atleast.

You have to expect to run into someone out in the field so best to prepare yourself for it before hand. I understand about taking someones spot they have hunted over the years but personally I don't think that should apply here. Early bird gets the worm (or first choice). If you are the first inline you get your pick and the guy at the end of the line shouldn't be able to come in and claim it just because he has hunted there before. I am just talking about the Ripley hunt now.

How do most of you guys decide on where to hunt in Ripley? Just years of experience, got into a group that has hunted there before, studying topo maps??? Just curious because I would like to apply this year. I don't believe you can get in ahead of time to do any scouting, right?

No you can't scout it out. I was in the Guard and know people who are still in so I am familiar with the area a little. Take a look at Topo map but a lot will depend if someone is there already. Just apply and go for the experience the first year. With so many people running around it is partly about being in the right spot at the right time.

I basically just went into the Ganders, Joe's, Sportsman's Warehouse's and asked the retail guys in those hunting departments where to head off to.

Was my first time out last year and basically took us the first whole day to really figure out where and what the lay of the lands was that we were 1st on.

Decided the 2nd day to hunt a different piece of land and that seemed to have more deer around it than the 1st day. I saw deer but nothing come near as lots of other people thought my spot was good too mad.gif

BUT that's the way the cookie crumbles. Can't scout previously and up to 2500 people in a small area hunting big OLE.

Cooter, it might depend a little on which week-end you apply for, but that being said, I've been drawn 4 out of the last six years. The first two-day hunt is actually a Thursday-Friday hunt and the second week-end is a Sat./Sun. hunt. My friend and I always apply for the last one. It can get a little crowded at times, but you just have to respect the other guy if he got to a spot before you. There is always another spot you haven't hunted yet. I think it's more of a challenge to try different areas each time up! smile.gif