• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

target practice with broadheads?

im getting ready to do my yearly summer practice shooting in the back yard with my field points and want to get some opinions on a way to relieve a problem i had last fall.

after shooting for about an hour each thursday and friday afternoon last summer, i had my bow dialed in really nice with my field points, to the point where if i shot a four shot group, all four arrows would be touching the same point of impact. thinking that when i switched over to my broadheads my group would open up, i did so and proceeded to keep nearly the same grouping and promptly sliced off the vanes on six of my arrows in one night. what should i do to verify the accuracy of my broadheads without shooting a multiple arrow grouping to risk this again?

Just shoot one arrow at a time. I do not shoot field tips at all. I have heard people say that there broadhead will hit the same place as their field tip but I have never seen it for myself. After helping many people with their bows I am a beliver that broadheads shoot different- unless you are very lucky

I always check my arrows when I switch to broadheads and only shoot one at a time.You need tocheck the arrows with a change from field points to broadheads as I have had one or two that flew a little off course.Better to find out at pratice than miss that once in a lifetime deer,or worse yet have a bad hit and cripple the deer and loose it.

Instead of having just one target on your archery butt, put up 4 or 5. Isn't hitting the same spot - center - on four different targets the same as hitting the center of one target with four arrows? When I'm target shooting with my wife with field points, she likes to start at 10 yards, I shoot different targets with my arrows or else I screw up too many nocks.

kevfish, what kind of archery butt are you using if you're using broadheads all the time? I have a home made cardboard butt, if I shoot boradheads into it, I hard time pulling it out, if I shoot broadheads into my foam deer, it tears it up too much. So now I shoot field points all summer, then shoot a few broadheads in the fall into the foam deer to make sure its shooting right.

This talking archery is getting my excited for the hunt, time to get my bow out!

i guess shooting one at a time is the obvious answer...that just seems like a lot of walking back and forth, and i dont have room where i shoot for more than two targets. oh well i guess i could always haul all my equipment out to the farm on weekends; plenty of room there! thanks for the tips!

hey carp I dont know how big your target is but used to have the same problem, now i place four little orange stickers in different places on the target and not shoot at the same spot. also if you shoot at the same spot all the time with broadheads you target will ware out much faster. hope this helps.

Quote:

hey carp I dont know how big your target is but used to have the same problem, now i place four little orange stickers in different places on the target and not shoot at the same spot. also if you shoot at the same spot all the time with broadheads you target will ware out much faster. hope this helps.

Hit the nail on the head Roost!!