• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spyder Lake Trails??

There is one in every crowd... mad.gif

By the way 45acpshooter, you can spell "thier" properly as "their". Before you speak of overgrown children you may want to learn to spell.

If it were in fact "the truth" and were backed up by some sort of proof rather than your personal observation, it may sting a bit. But since it isn't, it's nothing more than just that, an allegation.

My personal observation is that I've killed many more grouse with a gun than an ATV. I've also found that they are far less spooked by my presence on an ATV than when I am walking. And in case you are wondering, NO, I don't use an ATV while hunting grouse.

Past "allegations" about ATVs (and snowmobiles) being a threat to other wildlife like wolves and Bald eagles, apparently have proven to be false judging by the increasing numbers of both at the same time ATV numbers are increasing. Do you have any credible info to back up the allegation about the grouse or are you just fishin' in the ATV thread? confused.gif

I never meant to imply that bird numbers were directly proportional to ATV activity although I'm sure their is some correlation. I've shot far too many grouse to judge the quality of a hunt by how many birds I've killed. All I want is room to work my dogs and some peace and quiet. Sure, their may be some birds left but IMHO ATV's have made the Spider Lake area unhuntable.

Now I have never been to the Spider lake area so I have a few questions. Can the ATV's drive everywhere in the area? Is the area that small that you are only allowed to hunt in the area that ATV's can ride? Is there nowhere else to hunt in the area? You may or may not like ATV's but if the trails at Spider are like most then they are not much more than forest roads. There should be, IMO, areas for both hunting and atving, in this case. As it seems there is. How long has the Spider lake trail system been in place? How long have you been hunting there? Are the atv's running wild in the place and going anywhere they want to. I've seen many grouse and other animals while riding ATV's in other areas of the state. There is alot of land to hunt on and very little to ride ATV's on. So, yes I can respond to your statements. I only made the remark about the spelling since you made a remark about overgrown children on ATV's which has nothing to do with the issue. The same could be said about hunting as it is overgrown children playing GI Joe.

Slinger, I'll try to answer a few of your questions. I believe ATV's are supposed to stay on the 26 miles of designated trails. I would guess there are at least 2-3 times this number of miles of informal trails, some through sensitive wetlands, however I haven't been up there in a few years. To me the issue is not the trails per se, but these trails don't make themselves. The last time I was there, there were so many ATV's I couldn't hunt for more than 10 minutes without an ATV or ten whizzing by. I can only assume it is busier now. I have hunted this area since 1974. Back then it was rare to see another hunter in the woods but now it's more like the friggin' Indy 500. Yes, I suppose there are other places to hunt, but Spider Lake has always been special to me. As for your remark that hunters are overgrown children playing GI Joe, maybe a few, but I've never met one...Oh and just one more thing (sorry, you made me) "alot" is two words; it's spelled "a lot". In any case, ride safe and I do mean that.

most times a ATV is out, its well into the day, when grouse are off the trails. its best to walk trails grouse hunting at daybreak, or sunset, which not many ATV's are running at those times. I would say that grouse hunting will still be great at spider lake walking trails at there good hours, but as like anywhere, get off the trails in the middle of the day for better birding. also remeber that the grouse cycle has been towards the rock bottom, and the hunting has not been good anywhere.

back to the main topic. it is first come, first serve for campsites, and no there is no fee.

I love to hunt and have two Brittanies now and have had bird dogs for around 20 years.I also like to ride dirt bike.If you look at the amount of public land available to hunt as opposed to the thimble cap full of places to ride the atv/off roaders should be the ones whining.I firmly believe a trail through the woods doesn't impact the wildlife that much,consider all the critters one see's while riding.I heard grouse drumming at nearly every rest stop we took the last two times riding over in Spider and plan on hunting there this fall.I love the outdoors and beleive there is plenty of land to share for both the hunters and riders.Maybe you should invest in a gps and get your arse off the trail 45.

Hey Cast, if I liked to walk trails I would welcome the ATV's. I wear out a pair of Filson Double Tin pants every other year and it sure as hell isn't from walking down ATV trails. Judging from your post it doesn't appear you have hunted Spider Lake in the past. I have hunted it for thirty years so I am at least speaking from the experience you appear to lack. I don't think I stated the ATV's have a big impact on wildlife numbers. What they do impact is the overall quality of the hunt. Ride your ATV there. Put your shotgun in a plastic scabbard and ride all over. Just don't think you're "hunting".

Well I think I could mount a scabbard on my dirtbike but shooting off handed might be a helluva challenge.Youre right,I haven't hunted there yet but plan on it this fall.I'm sure the sound of off-roaders in the distance would be much less anoying than listening to your tin pants wear out.I'm sick of people thinking public land should be theirs for their own use only.Plenty of land to share.

Cast, since you've stated you have never hunted Spider Lake I don't think you're probably the best person to judge. By all means, check it out for yourself and see what the area offers, but if you're naive enough to think all you'll hear is "the sound of off-roaders in the distance", I have some ocean front property in southern Iowa you may be interested in. If you value quiet solitude, look elsewhere. As regards public land, it should be for everyone to enjoy but not destroy. No one has that right. Our lakes are public; should one be allowed to pump out their septic tank into one? I think were going to have to agree to disagree. This topic is quickly reaching the "beating a dead horse" phase. If you want the last word, take it, but I'm done...just one more thing to BigFishHunter, sorry for hijacking your thread man; I just needed to vent.

Thats all right its all good as long as nobody gets hurt but I would just like to say that people should really "tread lightly" we are loseing to many places to ride its getting way to complicated to figure out when and where we can ride.

Big Fish Hunter247

Not to interupt, but isn't this a thread about the camping at spider lake? I think there is some other place for hunting threads. I have been to Spider lake many times ATVing. Awsome place for my family and myself. Make sure you go early to get a camp site. The good ones fill up fast!

I have seen alot of grouse on my last couple of trips up there though (more deer than anything), maybe this year will be better hunting for you. Good Luck hunting there this fall. I might try it myself!

SLAYER73

You hit the nail on the head ! I thought it was for camping also.I thought we had a place on the site for gripes.

Camping & hunting are truely awesome at spider lake.In fact we did VERY well deer hunting last year,not so good on the grouse with it being the down part of the cycle.That will change this year I'm sure.

Camping can be done all over the place,just clean up after yourselves and watch out for "The Cumberland" group if your hunting.

Well the way I figure it,someone so dead set against atv's is problaby looking to stir things up coming into the ATV category and posting as 45 did.If you want to stand by and say nothing fine. I see both perspectives because I enjoy both sports and do tread lightly.Now let's all get together and sing Kumbaya.:)