• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thinking of buying a 4 wheeler

cold one sd

I'm looking at some wheelers and the more I look the more confused I get. Everyone says they sell the best. I need some opinions from you guys that own them. I think it has come down to either a Kawi 360 Prairie or a Yammi 400 Big Bear. But I am not sold on a belt drive machine yet. I also worry about starting when it is really cold. About all I will use it for will be some hunting and ice fishing. I don't want to be stuck on the ice with a wheeler that won't start. I am also considering a Honda Foreman 400. Any info will be really appreciated.

i have 2 honda foremen 450s 2004's.you cant go wrong with hondas.i had a 1998 honda foreman also that i sold before i got these and it still runs like a champ. honda is the only true shaft drive out there i do beleive, i know if im wrong i will be told by someone on here though.

I have a Yamaha Kodiak 450 and it started when it was nearly -40 this winter(parked on trailer outdoors)... that was a cold ride to the store to grab smokes(truck wouldnt start) living in northern Minnesota at the time.

This is a belt driven machine and I havent had any problems and I'm over the 2500 mile mark on the machine... No belt issues at all... and I test the limits of the machine constantly... even when submerged there were no water/slippage problems. This machine has been used for work and play.. work included skidding logs.. if thats not hard on the drive train, I dont know what is.

Only thing I have worn out was the stock tires, and the brake pads... cant complain, very good machines.

bobbersgone, basically all of the "utility" ATVs are shaft drive; meaning there's no chains transferring the power to the wheels. Most "sport" ATVs use chain drive for this though. I think what you mean is Honda's transmissions are gear driven rather than using a belt drive like many competitors.

My opinion, there's pros and cons to both. Mostly, I would elect to replace a $35 belt, whihc could be done on a trail if needed, rather than having to have transmission work done, which is a lot more expensive. But, Honda has always built a pretty durable wheeler.

cold one sd, use the search feature to find many threads (opinions) about what ATV to buy.

I have a polaris and it has performed great. Always starts in the cold and no drivetrain issues at all. This is the 2nd polaris I have had and they have both performed very well. I think all manufacturers make good machines and it come down to the little differences and persoanl preference.

Hey there cold one sd...

Another aspect to consider when buying a new atv is dealer support AFTER the sale. Ask questions about their service department. Ask to check it out. Is it clean and organized or does it look like my garage? shocked.gif See what "goodies" they have on the shelf. Will their parts department have that lefthandeddoohickey if you need one?

All the ATV manufacturers make a good product. Chose the one that's best suited for your riding style and projected uses. Information is a good thing, however, too much information can cloud the water. Basically, it all boils down to which one you have the most confidence in. Find that one and your choice is made.

I agree with moose-hunter, now days a lot has to do with the dealer and service department and convienece of your being able to get to them. As fare as the belt drives go,Polaris we'll say, if you are shifting down when you should a belt is going to last meny years. just last year i sold my 94 polaris 300 that had meny thousands of miles on it and I changed three belts on it in that time. As fare as starting goes they can be like any other piece of machinery, two idenical machines and one starts any time and the other one can be cold blooded for smoe reason. My advice is set on them , ride each one across a seires of 4x4's to check comfort, turning radius and such things and buy the one you like best.

Thanks guys, The Kawi has oil bath rear brakes inside the differential and swing arm rear suspension. I know very little as I have never owned one before. The rear end isn't independant suspension but a straight axle. I like the straight axle in case I pull my 7x11 house on wheels I don't think it will squat much. I have also looked at Arctic Cat 400s and they are nice too. The one with the straight rear axle keeps the rear tires both on the ground where the Kawi won't. One dealer says the Polaris units are high maintenance and Arctic Cats are a cheap machine. The Cat dealership is like a junkyard inside, but the guy seams very knowledgable and helpful. Maybe I'll start with a used machine so I won't have so much invested and can trade for something else. Thanks guys. All info will be apprediated.

Had a polaris trail boss 250, bought used, beat the tar out of it for a couple years, motor seized up. Bought 04'Honda 450 Foreman es, best move possible. The used one first idea may be a good one so you know what is important to you on the next one. Can't say enough about honda though. Hold their value too.

I'm also looking at a 2002 Honda Rancher. It has 2600 miles and looks like it has had good care. The price is 3700 which doesn't seem too bad. When I got to the Kawi dealer, he had just sold a leftover 2004 Prairie 360 for 4100 and that makes the Rancher seem a litle high. ?????

I Had 2 Suzuki's Both great machines,But the Resale was not like it used to be confused.gif So this time I bought A Honda Rubicon..yep a little more but have done everything above and beyond can't wait to take it up north this summer and try in some MUD cool.gif

Thats one of the benefits of the Hondas, great resale! I've owned a dozen of them over the years and never lost much on any of them. My 99' Honda 450 was 3 years old when I sold it and got only 900 less for it than I paid new. My riding buddy just sold his 2001 Rancher and got 3850 for it, so 3700 For a 2002 doesnt seem all that bad especially if it is an ES model.

When it comes to the belt versus gear transmission, my personal choice is gears. As Dave said earlier a belt is cheap to replace, but there are other drive parts involved that can fail and/or need adjusting. (clutches, sheaves and bushings,etc) I won't claim that nobody ever has transmission problems, but I personally have never had any transmission related problems in nearly 70,000 miles of riding (mostly Hondas) nor do I know anyone that has.

I think you would be hard-pressed to find many people who have owned a Honda that would have much negative to say about it. smirk.gif

Any dealer that starts knocking other machines to try and sell his is the dealer I'll stay away from. A lot of people considered polaris high maitnace because of all the grease joints they use to have. To meny people did not use a grease gun and caused their own problems.

For ice fishing get the most clearance you can.

I personally just bought a new Polaris 500 this year and love it. My step kid just bought a new Honda 500 and he loves it (just paid about $500 more). They both have about the same amount of miles. His has seen the repair shop and mine hasn't but I wouldn't say mine is better (well I would just to [PoorWordUsage] him off a little wink.gif).

As far as who makes the best machine. That's easy, Nobody, you'll just find the more someone spends on one the more they'll brag about it. smirk.gif

just my $.02

Thanks guys, I'm going to put it on hold for a while and let my head clear. The problem is that I like em all. The other problem is that the wife doesn't think I need a new toy. Maybe if she had to pull a flipover around by hand for a while she would understand. It seems like their train of thought is that it would be cheaper to quit ice fishing. NOT AN OPTION!!!!

Do consider looking at the artic cats very depenable machines. Have a 400 that will do anything plow's snow great also has independent rear and have no problems pulling anything. very well built in my book

Quote:

I'm back, I found a 2003 yammy Grizzly 660 with 900 miles on it for $5,000.00. It also has the camo finish. Good price?

Prox and cons????

LOL!! Cold one.... You got the itch!! grin.gif I've seen it before.. You're hooked!! grin.gif

I ride with a guy with a 660 Griz and it seems to be holding up quite well. We hit some fairly rough terrain/mud and I've never had to pull him out of anything.... Not yet anyway... grin.gif He uses his to ice fish as well. Running back and forth to his big perm. From what I've seen, no problems with cold weather operation.

I know, not a whole bunch of info. If it's in really good condition and maintenance has been done regularly, it seems like a good price to me. With all the major players putting out quality big bore machines, it's tough to go wrong with any one of them.

I've got the itch and I only know one way to scratch it. It has a winch and a set of new wheels and tires with big lugs that goes with it. The guy that owns it takes great care of it. I also like Arctic Cat a lot too. They seem to have some real good ideas when it comes to engineering. I wonder how much weight I can put on the hitch for pulling and not have problems.

cold one, typically, ATV hitches are rated for about 100-pounds tongue weight and around 1000-pound pull weight. However, I don't have any problem pulling around my 17-foot boat.

Thanks Dave, I have a 7x11 ice house on wheels that I might be pulling at times. For this reason I have been thinking of a wheeler with a straight rear axle rather than independant suspension. I have heard that you can have axle problems from the wheels spreading out when you put weight on independant suspension. I like to get info from owners because all the dealers say that their brand will pull or haul about anything. My son weighs about 200 lbs and I might have him stand on the hitch to see how it squats.

Quote:

....For this reason I have been thinking of a wheeler with a straight rear axle rather than independant suspension. I have heard that you can have axle problems from the wheels spreading out when you put weight on independant suspension.

Here's the thread I was thinking about, if you missed it.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=493573&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

We've been through those "opinions" on that subjetct here before. Personally, I don't agree that to be true.

Thanks to everyone. I think that if the rear suspension is set up right I should be ok. I may be retiring soon and I won't have a lot of play money. I kinda want to do it right the first time. Trial and error gets to be a bit expensive. Trail riding really isn't something to consider where I live, so I am mostly thinking of ice fishing and hunting. To be truthful, I could probably buy a used beater and get by. Thanks again!!!