• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Artic cat 400 that needs an answer?

I have an Artic Cat-400 (2003) that dies after 20-30 min. of use. It starts great, runs smoothly,but after that 20-30 min. of use, it backfires and stalls. I have to let it sit for 10 to 15 min. before it will start again. We have checked fuel, spark plugs, timing and still can't find the answer. Anyone have the same problem or an answer??

When you say "We have checked fuel, spark plugs and timing" what did you find? Either the spark or the fuel must be absent I would think. When you finally get it restarted does it run about the same amount of time again, or less?

A little more info would help to diagnose. There is one odd thing that comes to mind that is possible. If the fuel tank vent is plugged, it can create a vacuum in the tank and not allow fuel to drain into the carb. Opening the gas cap would cure it instantly. On the old Honda 3 wheelers they used a manual vent on the gas tank and if you didn't open it before riding you would have a similar result. Anyway its just a thought, but like I said a few more details would be helpful.

I've had this problem for several months. Put new plugs in, checked fuel for water(none), put new fuel in, we,ve checked the exhaust,even tried a new muffler, put a new fan switch in(thought it might be getting to hot. I don't run my machine to fast, mostly half throttle or less. I plow snow, run out to the fishhouse or ride a trail up to the deer shack. It has been a great starting machine, but will kill after 20-30 min. It will start again if I let it sit for awhile, but will stall again in 5-10 min. It seems like it floods or some how loads up and then backfires and stalls. Thanks for any help or thoughts you guys might offer.

I'd be looking at how your fuel tank is venting. If the vent is plugged a vacuum will form in the tank. If you have a rubber hose vent, take it off and clean it. It's easy to test just by starting and letting it idle with the gas cap off for a while. If it stays running you know where your problem is.

That explaination may help some. It sounds like it is possibly a heat related problem. Next time it stalls pull the plug right away and check for spark. No spark would indicate possibly a coil or stator going bad. Either one could cause loss of spark. If it still has good spark after it dies, well then you are probably back to a fuel problem.

Does the tank have a filter or strainer that may be getting plugged and resticting fuel flow? Another thing I have run into in the fuel system is the gas shut off valve being plugged. You can test it, and the filter (strainer) by shutting off the valve, unhooking the gas line to the carb, reopening the valve and running the fuel into a small container for a minute or so to assure unrestricted flow. Make sure to test both the main and reserve positions.

Aside from these things, and the tank vent I mentioned in my first reply, the only thing left is compression. That seems to be unlikely, judging by your description since it starts and runs good both before and after dying.

Keep after it and make sure to post any other symptoms you notice and the solution when you find it.

The first thing I would look for is a bare wire from the stator. Just where the wires come out of the engine. It might be hard to see with out pulling the stator off the machine.I don't know why they go bad.But have seen a couple.Good luck.