• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Biting Pups

2 DA GILLS

Can anyone suggest any methods to deter biting / chewing in a 9 week old pup? Is it even possible?

I have 2 young boys (2 1/2 and 1) and their hands are easy targets for the pup. The bites have not been hard, just the typical pup biting / chewing.

I have been using correction through telling the pup "NO" and giving him a toy to chew on and then praising. It works for a limited time and then it is back to the boy's hands. Probably something that I just need to continue correcting and it will get better.

Of course, I do not leave the pup and boys unattended. There is always a watchful eye over them at all times.

I think its important to keep the distinction between biting and chewing. I assume you are only talking about chewing like puppies all do and not biting like any sort of attack/aggression thing right?

I think its all but impossible to keep a puppy from chewing. I think you just have to try to make sure they have lots of things that are appropriate to chew on and stop them when they chew on things they shouldn't.

If you are talking biting, that's a whole other issue.

When a litter of puppies is playing, they will nip each other,not as an attack but just being playful. When you bring a puppy home, you become his pack or litter. When they nip, its supposed to be play. If you watch puppies play, one will yelp when he is bitten as a signal to the biter to let loose. My daughter, the vet, told me to not say NO or BAD, but to give a yelp when a small puppy bites. Agressive biting on the other hand should be stopped cold while in the act, any and all times.

I believe it is chewing and biting. Not aggressive biting, but play biting. There are times while petting him that he attempts to chew on my hand. Then there are the times he is joyfully playing and likes to nip at me (as he would with his litter mates). I am not concerned about him being aggressive at this point, just curious if I could be doing something different to reduce this behavior.

I am sure he will grow out of this phase in time (like all pups) and into the next challenging phase.

Thanks for the comments.

I also have a pup that playfully bites all the time. You can't even pet her with out a nip at your hand from her. I use "NO" all the time. Not that I want to it is just a quick reaction that is hard to break myself from, but is starting to work. I have a 3 year old daughter and I feel that I am training both of them. My daughter about what entices the dog to bite and the dog not to bite.

Great topic. I'm picking up my Y Lab pup March 12 (My first in many years, and my 5 1/2 YO daughters first). We have lots of kids similar aged in our area and they got wind of our pup and surely want to come and "See" it. I am working with my daughter prospectively on how we treat puppies/dogs and what responsibilities they are. And, we'll get into handling when we get the pup. But, how do you handle when other kids come and see (I know they'll want to play with her) the pup? I suspect that close montoring by me or my wife will asure proper handling etc. but I am curious how the pup will respond and I don't want her to fall into any bad habits due to visiting kids...any advice?

Puppies chew. That's just the way it is. Fish gotta swim, bird gotta fly, wife gotta nag, puppy gotta chew.

The trick is when you see them chewing on something they arn't supposed to chew on, take it away and give them something they can chew on like a rawhide, rubber toy, etc.

It's in page 1 of the puppy handbook. And I quote...

"I must chew on things I am not supposed to. This includes but is not limited to shoes, toys, furniture, kids, hands, and various other sundry items."

Your pup is 2 months old and probably won't stop chewing until some time well after all it's baby teeth are gone.

I know it's not always realistic but if at all possible keep the things you don't want wrecked out of your puppie's reach. Shoes and toys especially. Puppies love nothing more than chewing on plastic toys and the soles of shoes and especially sandals.

The best thing is to have lots and lots of chew toys and put them in an active rotation so the pup doesn't get bored with them.

Also exercising the pup is a good thing. Remember a tired puppy is a good puppy because it's resting/sleeping and not wrecking stuff.

My Dixie wrecked no less than 12 pairs of kids shoes before she kicked the habit. My kids just don't get the put your shoes away rule.

Good luck.

gspman

Puppies chew. Without promoting the chewing, when I had puppies I wore leather gloves just so my hands didn't get too scratched up. For the boys maybe some cheap batting gloves would provide enough protection to keep them from getting scrached. Again, don't promote the chewing by wearing the gloves just wear them to protect the boys hands. The worst is when they grab and you pull and you get a needle like scratch, it hurts. Whoops...I re read your post I thought the kids were older, maybe the gloves would work for the older one the 1 year old probably wouldn't work on.

Thanks for all the comments. Things are already getting better, not because he does not chew anymore - he is just starting to understand what not to chew and responding to corrections. Aside from his wild times (you know those times that a pup just starts tearing around / out of control and having a good old time) he is starting to develop some house "manners". Based on his very young age, I feel he is doing quite well.

The funny thing is that my 1 year old tolerates the pup better than my 2 1/2 year old. I think the 1 year just does not know any better at this point.

Da Gills, there's a good chance your pup and one year old have the same mentality/maturity/what ever you call it. I noticed my pup and my youngest boy get along a lot better than anyone else in my house.

Yes, I know what you are talking about when you say "Wild times." When my pup starts we just get out of the way. grin.gif

When Maggie went wild she had a track. Around the dinningroom table; through the livingroom; up on one end of the couch; run down the couch back through the livingroom to the dinningroom table to start all over. To try and catch her before she made it to the couch (it was off limits) was not easy. I think she though we were playing and just wanted us to chase her. I am so glad that she is almost three now and only gets wild outside.

Buy Bitter Apple. When you catch the puppy chewing on something he/she isnt supposed to, you tell the puppy NO and spray them on the toungue with it. They HATE it. It worked wonders for my Brittany. Dogs are simple creatures, they know pleasure and pain. If they know that doings something is going to create a negative thing for them, they wont do it. The Bitter Apple is also nice, because it doesn't require any type of physical punishment, just a BAD taste in their mouth.