• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone have a report about the ice/open water conditions at Chamberlain or Ft Thompson? My guess it is still froze up. Most years we have gotten out in February some years even January. I was just checking if anyone has an update yet? Can't wait to hit the river for early season eyes.

Jason Erlandson

Me and my buddy were up at fort thompson the past two days and limited out both days. Plenty of fish to be had. The water is open from the big bend dam up to kiowa flats for sure, thats all the further we went. On the weekends, the water freezes up more because they do not run the water. The time to be there is during a weekday when they run the water. We caught all our fish in the mourning and evening and the fish are really healthy, 15 to 21 inches and built like footballs.

The only boat ramp that we used was the one right at the big bend dam. No problems unloading and loading except when I fell on the ice on the ramp. If your going up there, I would think about using a jig and minnow. Pink and orange jigs were working for us. You have to move a lot to locate the fish, but when you find them, they are stacked on top of each other.

My buddies were back up at ft. thompson again last thursday and friday. The did real well both days, but I think they were probably the minority. They have a real productive general area where they catch all their fish. I can tell ya one thing, it is not more than a three minute boat ride from the ramp. Jig and a minnow is what they were catching their fish on. Crow creek has not been real productive, so if you aren't cathcing any fish there, don't be afraid to move around. Stay in the 12 to 15' foot depth range. Just to get you guyz a little excited here is a link to some of the excitement that may await you. "PLEASE DO NOT POST DEAD FISH PICS" Hopefully this works. It is the first time I have posted a pic.

Very slow bite! It was terrible. It was nice to be on the water again. We were able to put in at the park in Chamberlain. Water levels are down a little but not too bad. Fished tuesday noon to 6:30 from chamberlain all the way up to the dam in search of fish. I only marked 2 fish the whole time. In the last half hour we managed three fish. We were the only boat on the water and I can see why. It is tough. Hopefully it will pick up with some warmer weather. The water temps were 35-36 degrees.

Jason Erlandson