• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rear Independant Suspension

LOTWKIng

Im in the market of buying a new ATV, around the 500cc range. I was looking at the Arctic Cat. I like how it has the 2 inch reciever. The dealer said that it was nice but people have been having problems towing due to the independant rear suspension. Any advice would help. Thanks.

Scumfrog, while some may feel an IRS "squats" more than a solid axle machine, I still believe that's not true all the time grin.gif For more info from the archived threads, I dug out just one thread on this subject.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB56&Number=357912&Forum=,f56,&Words=IRS&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=357908&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=6&oldertype=m&bodyprev=#Post357912

A couple more points, the amount of "squat" and ground clearance height depends on how the shock settings are adjusted and height of tires too.

Thanks Dave, I read the post on that. I guess it's just personal opinion on what you want the wheeler for. I like a good ride and power to get me out of the muck. grin.gif I'm looking at getting a Rhino 660 this spring. laugh.gif

The difference between independant and solid is that. Most solid axle atv's, the hitch is on the axle. There for you are not loading the springs with any weight when putting a trailer on. All the weight goes on axle and tires. Most independant atv's the hitch is mounted on the frame of the atv. By doing that, you now are putting all the weight through the suspension. It's sorta like taking a sand bag and setting it on the rack verses setting it on top of the tire. There are different shocks and springs that will help with the suspension softness for hauling.

Hope this helps and doesn't sound too dumb.

J.T.

by overloading the axles on an IRS machine, you also run the risk of pulling off an axle. As the machine squats, the tires push out. This is what is referred to as "tire scrub". Keep in mind that when the tire/wheel is being pushed out, so is the axle. Saw it happen on a Polaris SP500. Not a fun fix out on the trails if you're not mechanically inclined.

LEP7MM,

I don't doubt you saw an episode like that but I would think there were additional problems that caused that case of "tire scrub" as you described. If that were true, any Sportsman that was taken off a jump would pull an axle out at one time or another. The axle travel is limited by the shock travel and stop point. I don't see how that could do it without something else being wrong too. Was there a lift on that Sportsman or was it stock suspension?

Dave,

the SP in question was stock with the exception of some racks that the owner built (they were very quality parts). They looked to be factory manufactured. They did however increase the amount of weight on the machine, not to mention the extra that he brought along for the ride i.e. gas, tools, cooler. The machine was over loaded IMHO and contributed to the failure of the driveshaft. At the time it happened, we were riding about 25-30 mph on a straight trail with only slight/mild bumps and he caught the edge of the trail and went into some deeper snow. I believe a stock machine would have been ok under the circumstances as I did the same thing later on in the day on my stock SP500.

The polaris rear independant has a c-clip that holds the cv-joint in the housing. Either the c-clip was missing or broke in order for him to loose the shaft. There is enough travel in the universal joints for full suspension travel without pulling out a shaft. However if you are missing a c-clip it could come out because the axle somewhat floats in both of the housings. If the inboard one max's out against the c-clip, then the outboard one gets pulled inward toward that c-clip and vise-versa. Without the c-clip it can't do that and would possibly come out.

LOTWKing, Do yourself a favor and go out and buy a Polaris Sportsman 500. Hands down it is the finest "all around" ATV you can buy. We haul trailers full of fish houses, gear, augers, etc. around lakes with no problems. At hunting time, we haul trailers full of deer. All ATVs can break if overloaded. The Sportsman ride is the best ride available.

I understand it as LEP7MM was talking about the axle coming out of the CV-joint, not the CV-joint coming out of the housing.

Anyway, a lot of good info coming out here for other riders/users to learn about. Great job, guys.

The IRS will give you a way more comfortable ride, also. Much easier to steer. When you really get into the "Stuff" the solid axle rear end will never let you down. It's a solid shaft so you won't experience the "one wheel wonder" effect. My Yamaha Big Bear 400 is a solid shafter and it just plain don't get stuck.

There is good and bad to both, superior traction vs. comfey ride.

WF, not long ago, an axle shaft slid out of a front CV-joint when I was taking out the suspension lift block from under the strut. There was no C-clip inside the CV-joint to hold the axle in. Are you saying there is in that location (on the end on the axle shaft)?

Click this link for a Polaris ATP. Check on page B7.

Front Drive Shaft

actually the C-clip did let loose inside the CV joint. I'm glad WF brought that up. I was too far down the trail to see the repairs, but heard about it on our next rest stop. They managed to put it back together, but it did separate one more time before days end.

As was said in a previous post, all machines will break, it's just that with my experience with Polaris ATV's, I would be hesitant to buy another Polaris Utility. I've been a Suzuki guy all my life, but if someone gave me a new Suzuki King Quad, I would give it away. Too many issues there.