• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used Equipment (helmets)

Evenflow

I gave up looking for a cost efficient rental and I purchased a Polaris '02 550 Classic this weekend.

I'm going to get myself a nice new helmet, but I also need to find an inexpensive helmet for someone else before this weekend. I've thought of checking pawn shops, but being new to this sledding thing I may be overlooking something obvious. Maybe Play it Again? Or one of the other used sporting good stores?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Evenflow

Lawdog nailed it. Helmets are built for ONE good hit.... ONLY!! Not knowing the history of the helmet, you could be buying an eggshell providing NO protection.

With so many good quality, inexpensive helmets available on the market today, do yourself and your passenger a favor and buy new. IMHO... You can't put a price on safety.

So...if I nailed my head on the ice fairly decent last year would expect the helmet would be no good? I got thrown off the machine wipping the back end around when my studs grabbed the ice and tipped the sled on it's side. I have been using the same helmet..but maybe I shouldn't? Anything to look for?

Quote:

Evil Knievel himself said if you're head isn't worth that much to ya buy a cheap helmet.

I couldn't even tell ya how many times I've used that Evil Kneival line... "If you have a $10 head go ahead and buy a $10 helmet, I'll buy the best one I can find..."

"If you have a $10 head go ahead and buy a $10 helmet, I'll buy the best one I can find..."

You don't have to spend a million dollars to get a good helmet. You can find one and two year old helmets (new) for cheap. One reason dealers want to get rid of these older helmets is because they no longer match the paint scheme of the newer model sled.

311Hemi

From what I know about helmets, you would not be able to tell by visually looking at it whether its junk or not. The helmet internally breaks up to absorb the shock of the blow. Thats why they always take and will sometimes x-ray helmets from race car crashes to determine what they look like inside. A helmet like this (assuming it wasn't cracked on the outside which then you just need to throw it away immediately) would still protect you from the minor bumps and bruises that don't really matter, but wouldn't have any real energy absorbing capabilities left for the big hits.

In my opinion, if you hit it hard on the ice, its not worth risking it again with that same helmet, it did its job and saved your bean once, now retire it. Drop it on the cement driveway? That's junk too, even if it didn't save your head!

I agree that last year's color scheme or what have you is a decent way to save on costs. Buying a cheaply built helmet though, that's just not something I'd consider.

Real piddly money when you compare the cost of a $300 helmet to that of a smashed skull!!!!

Tremendous advise guys!!!

I once sold a Polaris helmet I had on hsolist. It was a Bell Wedge style. Perfectly fine helmet and the buyer was extremely happy. From the buyers perspective, you will never know what that helmet has been through until it arrives on your doorstep. I guess that is a choice you have to make.

I would definitely hit the dealerships for carry over helmets, jackets, clothes, etc. I picked up an AC jacket this fall at 50% off. Helmets are typically marked down considerably also.