• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How far?

walleye_nut

How far have you driven in a day to go ice fishing and come back home the same day?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm think about going to Upper Red lake next Sat. morning early (2:00am) and come back the same. Am I stupid or just crazy about ice fishing. grin.gif

Sounds like something we've done in the past. I may two day trips to Red last year, which is about 3 hours each way. The one we were dumb enough to go to Winnie in the morning & then go to Red & return home. We didn't get on the fish either time, but it was an adventure.

walleye-nut,

I guess that's no worse that last June I drove from Las Vegas to Des Moines IA and I only stopped to get gas and lots of coffee. I left Vegas at 9:00 am and pulled into Des Moines at 3:00 am, I guess you could call that crazy.

Ole

Left here in Chisholm, drove 2 hours to Keliher and picked up my kid(he lived in Bemidji at that time) and headed to LOW, fished until around 3 PM, headed back down to URL and fished until around 10 PM. Dropped my kid off in Keliher and went home, arrived around 1 am. 5 nice walleyes and a 15 fish limit of crappies. Not sure what time I got to bed after cleaning all those dang fish. But I would do it again if I could find anyone else gung ho enough to do it.

Quote:

Just gotta rub in the fact that I'm 1 hour from red
smile.gifgrin.gif

mad.gif We have a 5 hour drive to Red and usually stay up there for 3 days.

My hubby did that one year though, he and his brother went early one morning and came back that night around midnight. He was beat after that trip and said he would never do that again.

Two winters ago, I left the cities with a friend(who was over two hours late) for Red.We only got in two hours of fishing. Instead of sleeping in the truck as planned, he said he wanted to go home to his own bed mad.gifI did all the driving, both ways. When I woke up the next morning, I still had three days off, so I drove to South Dakota for 2&1/2 more days of fishing.

The longest one day for hunting was a Twin Cities group that hunted by us in Wyoming, about 30 years ago. They pulled in before dawn on opening day in an old tour bus and a truck towing a jeep. There were twenty eight guys, they hunted till dark, loaded their deer, and headed back to Minn. 650+ miles each way.

Difference is I like to drive--Arlington,Mn. to Houston, Texas straight ---Arlington Mn, to Dubberly, Louisana--- Arlington,Mn to Fort Peck Montana would type more but dont like to.All runs straight, nonstop except for gas and food.Dont do anymore to hard on older guy.

Few years back I drove from devils lake to Illinois non stop, 16 hrs. Then about a little over a month ago I drove to the cities for the ice show, after the show meet up with a friend until 10:30ish then drove back to Illinois. I was up a straight 24hrs. I will never do either one again. I think it`s an age (my age)thing.