• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training Books

96trigger

Hello, I have a ten week old Golden Retriever and was wondering if anybody knows of any good books on training dogs. I would like to see her be able to hunt pheasants and retrieve ducks/geese. I don't want to hire a trainer. I have summers off so I plan on spending most of my time with her this summer.

I heard of a good new one. It's called: Top Dog - Training the Retriever for Waterfowl and Upland Hunting. The author is like Joseph Middleton or something like that. It's a newer book - I think it might have just been published this year.

I have just about finished a book recommended by the breeder I am buying my pup from. It is called How to Help Gundogs Train Themselves (order on-line). It is a book about proper conditioning during the first year of a dog's life. How to teach a dog to learn and establish the proper bond between dog and handler. I have enjoyed the different methods described in this book. I also read Gun Dog by Wolters.

2 Da Gills, the author of that book is Joan Bailey. It is a great book and highly recommend it. I used it to train my setter. Although a setter is not a true NAVHDA dog, her ideology and methods I am in total agreement with and found it was extremely helpful in my training.

HB

I guess my vote would be for "Water Dog" by Wolters.

I know Shorelunch had suggested Game Dog from the same authur, which is also good, but my personal preference would be for Water Dog. Just my .02 .

The Working Retriever by Tom Quinn would be my 1st choice. Obviously you have many, many choice that are all very good. Most of them I don't believe would steer you wrong. The most important thing is that you are reading something. Wolters, Quinn, maybe something from Rex Carr or there is a new one by Bill Hillman that incorporates a lot of different views from numerous authors. Getting differing views from a variety of authors is wonderful. I think one thing you will find is that the methods of teaching are very, very similiar.

GOOD LUCK!!

96trigger, I'm surprised that noone has mentioned Training your retriever by James lamb Free. There have been alot of dogs trained from that reading. A buddy of mine calls it "the Bible of dog training." "Just remember you've got to be smarter than the dog your training!" Give us a progress report as you go along.

Old Guide, one of the guys I teach with is retiring this year, wise old guy. Has a couple of hunting dogs that he trained. He gave me the J.L.F book, When I posted this I hadn't looked at it yet. Yesterday we had a snowday and I took a quick read through the first couple of chapters. The book is about forty years old but it is a good read. I'm learning a lot from it. Thanks for all the info. I'll be checking into the other books and videos also.