• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fogged visor

Steve Foss

No doubt this is old hat to experienced sled owners, but after ice fishing for many years I've just gotten a sled to haul my gear around.

I've got a snowmobile helmet with a single-thickness plastic pull-down visor that fogs/frosts up pretty quickly. The helmet offers nowhere else for the breath to go.

Any homespun remedies for this out there? Anything I can wipe on or apply to the inside of the visor to stop this? I'll be getting a newer design helmet that funnels the breath away when budget allows, but meanwhile . . . it gets pretty cold keeping the visor up at half mast so I can see. blush.gif

One of the remedies you may want to try is on the inside of the shield clean it and wipe it with shaving cream.. Shaving cream works as a anti fog and will most likely work as a defroster too as long as it keeps the moisture of the fog off. It works on the bathroom mirror too..

stfcatfish-

How goes it?? Visor problems huh??

I think we all have visor problems. I had a Polaris ( blush.gif ) Bell Wedge helmet a number of years ago and that thing fogged up like you wouldn't believe. It had a double lens shield and it still fogged up, more so when it was really cold.

Upon the purchase of my new Arctic Cat, I had to have the matching helmet to go with the sled. One of the main differences between the Arctic Cat TXi helmet and the Polaris helmet was the plastic and foam that was formed around your eyes. The hot breath was kept down and your vision was in a separate atmosphere.

That lasted as long as I was riding in the front of the pack. As soon as I ride behind others kicking up snowdust, I'm slowly foggin up again.

I've conducted a number of experiments with creative duct taping and nothing has totally worked.

I have found out that I breath heavily when I ride and my breath alone will fog up a mask, couple that with snowdust and I have a disaster.

I wish I had a simple solution but my next solution is to get a heated visor.

My other solution is to switch to an open face motocross style helmet with goggles.

A double lens or heated double lens is the way to go. I just matched a double lens set-up up for my helmet from Dennis Kirk, mailed to me, got it the next day, was around $40.00. I've used the anti-fog sprays, and I've had limited success, some worked better than others. Some guys use dish soap, leave a little residue on. They tell me it's ok until the moisture eventually rinses it off, or it gets wiped away from clearing off the frost. I remember back in the early eighties, got a rear window defogger kit for ten bucks, cut it down to fit, taped it inside a single lens visor, ran jumper wires to a handlebar pushbutton, worked ok. You could check out some snowmobile forums...

A couple of years ago I bought a "No Fog" mask. I've also heard it affectionately refered to as a puppy snout. You can find them in just about any of the snowmobile catalogs. It's just basicaly a neoprene half-mask with a special flap that hangs from the nose and directs your breath out the bottom of the mask. Have never had my shield fog up since. They run about 20 bucks.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's I had a buddy that would use a snorkel for swimming and run that out from the bottom of the helmet up the side. Used tape to hold it on to the side of the helmet. Looked funny but it worked.

LOL X 100 re: the snorkel set up. I'd love to see that. Might try it sometime just for kicks.

I know those 2 part helmets work good, but i too have been struggling with fog problems since I too don't have $250 or whatever for a 2 part helmet. I had to settle on what they had at L & M in Virginia, especially since when I buy one I usually have to buy four (wife and 2 boys + me).

I noticed they sell electric shields for my helmet series. Was thinking of maybe trying that, but need to rig a plug in since my 1993 ACs do not have one.

I also remember a great debate on some snowmobile forum as to whether it is 12 v dc or ac I think AC won, but a quick test with the volts meter will determine...

k

This may sound really weird but it works. I've always had problems with my glasses and visor fogging up on me. Sometimes I would raise my visor a little and it would clear up, but on the colder days that just isn't an option.

I wear a swimmers nose plug and breath out my mouth. It works. Sounds weird, but it works. Looks dorkey, but hey, the fellas gotta give me a hard time about something.

I believe the best thing for fogging is a new winshield for your sled. Since changing over to a taller winshield, my fogging is down to nill. "Looks cool; be cool" windshields are famous for fogging glasses and helmets. Good luck.

A BLIZZARD HELMET! They are the best. They use a sealed mask like an F-17 pilot uses to vent the air out the bottom. Its not entirely unlike the snorkel idea, just more normal... The helmet is modular and can be worn open faced or closed.

Like Evil Kneivel used to say, "If you have a $10 head go ahead and put it in a $10 helmet. Me; I'll get the best one they make." wink.gif