Jump to content

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Get your permits before snowmobiling in MN

Captain Ken

Recommended Posts

If your are snowmobiling in MN and your snowmobiles are registered in any state but MN, you need a permit to operate your snowmobile. I got a ticket for about $80 while in the middle of a lake ice fishing last year when my machines were registered to me in IL. Also, if you have studs and are not registered in MN you need a permit for them as well. They don't publicize either AT ALL on the trails or lakes that I have seen but they sure will write you a ticket for this.

Change in law is that MN registered snowmachines don't need the stud permit this year unless going on an asphalt trail.

Have fun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, if your a MN resident born after december 31 1976 you are required to take snowmobile safety class. This law went into effect in 2002. I found out after moving from ND where there is no such law. I called the MN DNR and got an adult self study CD mailed out to me. Just another heads up for residents. I missed the cuttoff by a few months, lucky me. ND was nice as far as registration. No ice shelter license required, they accept out of state snowmobile permits for short periods of time, they don't even title boats. I guess it's more trouble than it's worth with such a small population.

The MN DNR HSOforum has a lot of great information including the trails and the laws


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Last year we went to DL and then you didn't need non-res permit. However I was talk'n with a guy who was trail riding (who happened to be the head of a snowmobile association). I asked him about the non-res riders and why they don't require a permit. He said it was most likely due to less snow/ low tourism. He did say that he wouldn't be surprised if they change it though.

Best thing about "ND game and fish" department is that you can call a number and get a "real" person to answer your question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went into the Anoka county license office to get a stud sticker and was told they aren't needed and are not even sold anymore. Is this correct? My sled's are registered in Minn. but I was told stud stickers are a thing of the past!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


The DNR site says you still need one if you are out of state registered. I am now in state registered so I have not tried to buy one this year. All I can say for sure is what the DNR site says. Maybe call them at HQ and see what they propose. Not the first time a license outlet has told people the wrong info (like the time the guy told me one trout stamp covers both husband and wife if you have a husband and wife license- WRONG I later found out - but fortunately no problems as a result.)


Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is copied right from the MN DNR HSOforum:

It is a sticker you put on the sled. $80+ fine for not having one.

For snowmobiles not registered in Minnesota

Visiting Minnesota?

Don't forget your Snowmobile State Trail Permit!

A Snowmobile State Trail Permit is required for snowmobiles not registered in MN to operate on state or grant-in-aid trails.

The trail permit is valid from November 1 - April 30 and costs $16 ($15 permit fee plus $1 filing fee).

Five ways to get a trail permit:

1. Go to an Electronic License System agent.

(Find an ELS agent online or by calling 1-888-MINNDNR.)

2. Call (888) 665-4236

(Visa, MasterCard, or Discover cards accepted. There is a $3.50 processing fee for this convenience.)

3. Use the DNR online licensing system.

4. Go to the DNR Central Office in St. Paul

License Center

500 Lafayette Road

St. Paul, MN 55155


5. Complete the order form and send the full amount for each permit to:

Snowmobile Trail Permit

DNR License Bureau

500 Lafayette Road

St. Paul, MN 55155-4026

(Make checks payable to Minnesota DNR.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yup, that was the story. Middle of a lake ice fishing. He told me there more tickets he could write, like for no reg cards with me and such, but was just gonna write the one. I said "Thanks" and shut my mouth. Only logic I can think of was that maybe because I had to use a trial to get to the lake.....???? Who knows.

Anyway, I figure as long as I can get the word out to other people so they don't make the same mistake, it'll all work out in the end.

With the help of my therapist, I have let my anger over this go. Every day I feel better and better.. LOL x10


Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.