• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spiderwire Stealth\mitchell 300 problems

moby1

Question

Just bought Mitchell 300 last week. Used it for the first time on Saturday. I spooled Spiderwire Stealth (20lb./6lb diameter). I have never used this line before. I fought that reel all day and finally put it away. For lack of better term, I kept experiencing "backlash" type of problems. The line going out while casting would somehow grab the line deeper in the spool and pull it out causing a huge cluster@*%!. To get it out I would have to cut or delicatley pull out yard after yard of line until it was farther down the spool. Is it the line, open face combo or the way it was spooled...????? Any insight would be mutch appreciated.
Thanks Brent

10 answers to this question

With new or different line you might need to adjust your brake, your magnetic spool control and your manual thumb control.

Mono backing means using regular monofilament line on the spool for the first part of the line. I know guys who spool 5 feet on for backing, and guys who spool 15 yards on.

I personally don't use backing, I put electrical tape around the spool before I put my "super line" on the reel. 20 lb test Berkley Gorilla Braid has never given me a problem with it spinning on the spool. I used to use Cabela's Ripcord and that would spin on the spool, but that was before I learned the electrical tape trick.

[This message has been edited by say_der (edited 07-02-2003).]

Mitchell 300 as in the spinning reel I presume?

I had similar problems when spidewire 1st came out. I wont use it on a spinning reel. It seems to work fine on baitcasters but it will bury into the spool when you set into anything heavy and cause problems that way. They make reels specificly designed for spiderwire(baitcasters).. but in the *early days* of spiderwire the reels seemed like junk, and I was not exactly *in love* with the line to buy a reel for it.

If your using spinning(open face)and want to use superlines, I would recommend Fire Line and leave 1/2 spoll of mono on the reel and splice the Fire Line to that. I have not had any problems with FireLine *Unloading* off the spool.

I think the Mitchell 300 is a spinning reel? Like the Mitchell 300X-C pictured here.

mitchell300.jpg

Tightly wrapping the super-braid should be helpful in keeping the line spooled smoothly. If the Spider Stealth is digging into the spool and catching on the other line I would suspect this to be the issue.

(Repacking your Line)

Try hooking the line on an object and walk it all off. Then apply one or two wraps of Tommy Tape or plain old electrical tape. This will keep the braid from spinning on the spool. Once this is done add the loop knot to the spool and re-spool the line under a steady tension. This should eliminate the sloppy line lay if that is the problem.

Be sure to have the drag set tight enough when you re-spool to keep any new twists from forming, or you will be back to step one again.

1) Set your drag to match the weakest component in your tackle system.
2) Set your drag to match the size of mono line you would normally use.
3) When using ultralight equipment or line (10- or 20-lb. test) set your drag to no more than 1/3 of the line's rated strength. You can check the drag with a fish scale.

(Baitcast reel spooling of super-braids)
1) If your reel has a hole or knob on the barrel, use it.
2) Leave at least 5 to 10 yards of monofilament on the reel (enough to cover the bottom of the spool) before attaching PowerPro with a Uni to Uni splice.
3) Put a piece of compressible tape on the barrel before attaching PowerPro.

(TIP) Some braids are round, and others are flat. Flat braids like to dig into a spool and cause casting complications.

When you have new braids, I recommend closing the bail manually tell they loosen up a bit. While your bait is falling, pull on the line to make sure it is seated firmly on the reel, then begin your retrieve.

I personally like Power Pro braids because they spool smoothly and cast farther, fray less, and they knot more securely. They are perfectly round spun braids, so spool gouging is not a big worry.

Power Pro also offers the smallest diameter braids with the highest test weights.
specs_right_for_you01.gif
(The 2 new sizes are not on this particular chart.)

They have a NEW 1/#8 and a 4/#14 that I find to be able to handle most casting, jigging, and trolling situations very well. If you can not find them try the 2/#10 and the 6/#20.

I use Power Pro during all four seasons now, and love it on the ice. I find the color options handy too, especially at night for jigging or trolling, and on the ice.

Hope this is of help.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 07-02-2003).]

Wow thanks alot!
Yes it is the reel as shown in the post from Backwater Eddy. Mabey I'll switch to my fireline. Well, may try respooling first. Id hate to waist all that line I just bought.

I have Fenwick Iron thread which is like
spider wire and have not had any troubles on spinning reels. As was already stated, you must have it wound on tight or you will have the problems you describe.

I have the setup you are using and have had no problems with it. I have the 30lb 8 dia stealth on a mitchell 300x and have never had a problem with it. try respooling it and the problem should go away

So when it is respooled tightly, if using for casting, when retrieved won't the line casted out and retrieved naturally be rewound on the spool looser than the line below? Oh well enough nonsense. Just have to respool and mabey will use it for the jigging rod and not as much for casting.
Thanks

Just have a fish on the other end every cast, that keeps that line tight Eh.

grin.gif Ha!

Try the close the bail manually tip tell the line loosens up some, it will help.

I use 1/8 Power Pro on Micro-Lights and they cast like a rocket, and spool very well. With Power Braids try not to go to the highest test as possible, shoot for the thinnest. Thinner braids are more spinning reel friendly under lighter casting weights. Save the #30 and up braids for bait casting reels.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding "ED on the RED"