• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

panfish rod recommendations

scottiecoach

For panfish I would go with an Ultralite or light action rod. The JR's Ultralite like Brian mentioned is definitely a good choice. Thorne Bros also makes a nice panfish rod but for a price. The Panfish Sweetheart by Thorne Bros is another top-quality ice rod and is worth the money if you can fork up the extra cash.

For a Medium action rod, I would go with either the 28 inch Medium action JR's Rod, or the Thorne Bros Walleye Sweetheart. Both are great rods for a variety of conditions and can handle whatever walleye decides to join the party.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Crappies can get to be fairly large. Remember that a 28" rod in a light action will be much weaker than a 24" rod in the same action. I've heard from several people that there were problems with the st croix premium blanks in the light action last year. They seem to be fixed this year. I won't fish crappies without my thorne bros sweat pea rod. It's the perfect combination of light action with great sensitivity. I like my berkley Medium light lightning rod, and st.croix mediium light also. I think you need to consider your fishing style first. Do you need a short rod inside your icehouse or do you need larger rod guides because you mainly fish outside and don't want them to freeze up fast?

You can use a 28 inch rod in the Otter, won't be a problem. Crappies can be very light biters, and sometimes it really pays off to have a sensitive rod tip. You can find light action rods with sensitive tips, and that might be your best choice. One brands light action might be different then another brands light action, same with ultralite. With an ultralite rod, you typically lose some of the backbone that you would have with a light action rod. I use both Ultralite and Light action rods for crappies. And, like Brian said, moving up to even a Mediumlight for crappies is not too uncommon either. Mediumlight rods handle jigging spoons better than a light or ultralight rod. A Light action rod might give you the best of both worlds. A 28 inch light action rod might be your best choice...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I would suggest two rods:

One is a 28" panfish sweetheart plus from thorne bros. I have had one for several years and love it.

The other essential would be a shorter light - med light glass / composite rod with a spring bobber. Awesome for "dead sticking". Better than a noodle as it has more backbone. Also works well for "jigging" when the fish are super finicky.

I've picked up several of Gander's Guide series rods and for the bucks they're pretty decent rigs. I've also got a couple St. Croix rods that you couldn't talk me out of. As for noddle rods, one of my crazy offspring was using one for lightbiting Perch on Mille Lacs when he latched into a 4+ pound Eelpout. Everything beyond the handle was pointed toward the hole, but he did catch it and I slimed my whole right arm in landing it for him. The rod held up okay but I had to go through purifation rights and sing the Eelpout song. laugh.giflaugh.gif

Hey paul I've fished with midwest rod and reel ice rods all last winter. The ultralite is great for both crappies and jumbos. They also make a mediumlite that would work great for crappies as well as walleyes.