• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crazy Deer Hunters

I for one am a very ethical hunter. I follow all the rules and deny temptation if put in any situations that may be tempting but wrong. I am also proud of myself and proud to say that the people I hunt with follow these same beliefs.

So I have a story. I have these two friends who I grew up with and we all are the best of friends. Their names are "Ryan" and "Tom" (fake names in case they may read). Ryan grew up hunting and hunts just as much as I do. Tom has never hunted and wants too. Ryan decided to invite Tom down for a deer hunt these past few days. To make a long story short they didn't see much. Last night they were driving around looking for deer before quitting time and they saw a nice doe standing about thirty yards into private property. The land was well posted and Ryan instructed Tom to get out and shoot it. Tom was hesitant because of the NO Trespassing signs and Ryan insisted. He claimed this is how he always does it and it's OK. Tom not knowing much got out and shot but missed. They drove away and about thirty seconds later were being followed. The guy must of gotten the plate becasue he turned around after a while and went back the other way.

Ok. In my book this is very wrong....right? I have never hunted down in farm country but I would never do this. I think its horrible that for Tom's first time out he is getting taught to do things the wrong way. I am ashamed of the way my Friend of forever handled this. I excuse Tom but I do not excuse Ryans actions....

Am I right?

I agree that these actions were unethical and only reinforces the land owners reasons for posting their property.

The term hunter should probably not be used for these two individuals. Did they ever attend a Hunters education class or read the game laws?

Perhaps you can pull them both aside and steer them in the right direction before they get in Big Trouble they will regret for the rest of their lives.

jbjr

I agree totally wrong and against the law. I also agree that probably because they are friends the best thing you can do is let them know where you stand. I think some people actually think it is a common and accepted practice. It may have been 20-30 years ago but not today.

Sounds like the way to handle it. It's one thing if they saw the deer on the land of a neighbor who they knew would have said shoot it. It's another thing if it's posted land and they're not welcome.

Of course that's all assuming they got a legal distance from the road before shooting.