• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best surface bait?

JohnMickish

Since I am still a "nebie" at musky fishing I have a question to ask you veterans. In your opinion, who makes the best top water bait. Be it a walk the dog, prop or whatever. I just want to pick your brains a little between now and next June.

Thanks in advance.

My vote is for the Viper, sweet little walk the dog bait that rides lower in the water. Word has it the Weagle (Another low riding walk the dog bait)is the next big thing, many fish caught on it this year. Hoping to get mine when the Musky Shows come to town.

Prop baits = Pacemaker, Topr Raider, Lowrider, Thunderhead.

RU

I was cruzin thru hsolist and there is one weagle there. Something like $40! It looks like many of the lures I was looking at today when I was in Thorne Bros. What makes this one better than any other? That is until the next good thing comes along.

All surface baits are not created equal.:)

Some work best in calm conditions others in rough water and then there are some that work well in all situations. The real trick is to determine a time and place, where each bait will be at it's very best.

In rough water, it's hard to beat a "Thunderhead"

or a "Super Topraider". In moderate conditions there are several good baits like the "topraider"

or the "toperstoper". I also like the "Jackpot" and the "Weagle" in moderate conditions.

For calm water most baits will work however there are some that really excell on flat water. One of my favorites is the "Creaper", especially after dark, or in low light situations. Some other good baits in calm water are the "Recon" by H2O tackle and the "Locamotive" from Slam'er tackle. smile.gif

Walk the dog style baits will tend to lose their effectiveness in cold water, however there really are no absolutes when it comes to Muskie fishing.

If you have confidence in a particular bait, then by all means, throw it. smile.gifcool.gif

The Weagle is made by Musky Nut Tackle. It is a walk the dog type bait but is heavier so it sits lower in the water and makes a lot more commotion when worked properly. The lure also has three high quality trebles so your hook up ratio might be better than with a Doc or Jackpot. You can also make it dive underwater which is a great trick on weary fish.

Hey Cooter,

I have a link to MuskyNut tackle on the front page of my HSOforum, there you will find the names of the stores that carry "Muskynut tackle" or you can special order "custom colors" on their site.

I have been a member of their Pro Staff for a few years now, they make great baits that catch fish.

My favorite is a Black Creeper, they are especially fun at night. But, I would have to say the best all around top water would be a Top Raider. It works in all conditions; wind, calm, rain, spring, summer, fall, day or night. I feel they also do a better job of hooking than most other surface baits.

David Swenson

http://muskieguide.homestead.com/

LOVE to go topwater, I supose just like any other Muskie-Head. My votes always start with the Top Raider and Jackpot. I do have another favorite that in certain situations rival either one of them, and have not seen it on this post, to my surprise. ---- THE HAWGWOBBLER---

As Ace, Dave, and Tom I think would all agree, the bite was somewhat strange on Vermilion this year. I seemed to at least get visuals if not strikes and/or fish on the H.W.'er when nothing else was getting even a smell.

My two coins.

Doug

O.k i might as well get into the action. I have to throw my vote in for the thunderhead, but only because i got me two over 50 in two weeks!! I have to throw a vote in for the hawg wobbler as well and i'm with Arman 21 on the lac seul turbo, i bought one this summer and it is a quality bait let me tell you.No fish on it yet but the day is coming. Not cheap though!Oh hell , i like them all!!

The Hogwobbler is a jointed topwater bait, that excels in calm conditions and in low light. It's worked very slow much like a creeper, it's been around for many years. You should be able to find them at most muskie tackle outlets. smile.gif

When conditions are right, what gets the nod -- creeper or wawbler? Also I hav'nt seen anybody mention a mag Stomper. It's similar to a Topraider. Been very good for me, which is probably why I never bought a topraider.

rascal

I'm going Bucher Dancin' Raider. However, mine is modified by a muskie. Has a hole in the side from it's tooth and is now a sinking dancin' raider, but comes to surface on retrieve. Holds a real tight patter in the water. 14 fish to date caught on it in 3 years. Perch color.

Cast's like a bullet now also, can unspool a 5500c3 with 65lb power pro on a good cast.

J.T.

Too many variables to pick one topwater as "best". In my opinion no tacklebox is complete without the following: Topraider, Hawg Wobbler, Creeper, Jackpot style lure and a Topper Stopper style lure.