• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minn Kota 65 Maxium

andy j

I just bought a Minn Kota Maxium (bow mount 65 pound thrust, 42 inch shaft. I was wondering what you guys thought of this motor, I was also thinking about the all-terrain, I Like the idea of the speed adjustments on the Maxium. I got it for under $300 and was only used one year, I have had a Motor Guide on my bass boat now and have had good luck with it but I wanted something quiter, and with more thrust. what do you guys think? Anybody had any problems? thanks AJ

I have the Maxxum 74# on the front of my bass boat and have had plenty of problems with it. Fortunately the warranty has kept covering the problems. (mostly the steering keeps going out) Have a Motor Guide Pro 65# on a different boat and it has conked out twice in two trips this year too. Gotta love the technology!

I've got a transom Minnkota extreme 65# and the second year I used it it died. I took it to Capras and they said it was the motherboard circuit that had gone out and they wanted $150 for the part and $40 to put it on. I thought that was pretty high since you can by a new one for app. $320. So it's been sitting in my garage for a year and I've been using my bow mount motor. I'd like to have it working though, for those days when I want to back troll for some Walleyes.

Does anyone know anywhere I can get a new (or used) motherboard for less money?

It didn't have a warranty. I bought it from the guy who sold me the boat and the trolling motor. He had never used the trolling motor. It was two years old when I bought it from him so Minnkota wouldn't honor it.

I hate to through away a good motor but $200 for an electronic circuit board seems out of line.

Ole

I've got a transom Minnkota extreme 65# and the second year I used it it died. I took it to Capras and they said it was the motherboard circuit that had gone out and they wanted $150 for the part and $40 to put it on. I thought that was pretty high since you can by a new one for app. $320. So it's been sitting in my garage for a year and I've been using my bow mount motor. I'd like to have it working though, for those days when I want to back troll for some Walleyes.

Does anyone know anywhere I can get a new (or used) motherboard for less money?

It didn't have a warranty. I bought it from the guy who sold me the boat and the trolling motor. He had never used the trolling motor. It was two years old when I bought it from him so Minnkota wouldn't honor it.

I hate to through away a good motor but $200 for an electronic circuit board seems out of line.

Ole

If you fish in weeds then the Maxxum is the way to go. If you want the most dependable trolling motor go with a motorguide.

I have had 4 Maxxum 74 go to hell on me in the last 4 years. But I fish in the weeds so I will not buy a motorguide.