• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10 week old lab need some help!!!

sheepheadslayer

I just got her 2 weeks ago and thing have been ok. Just wondering if there are any tips for house training them or does it just come in time. I don't like to discipline her when she goes in the house but have been each time but not with much force just a firm push outside and a "no". What can i look for or do different. Also when do you want to start with commands and retrieves. She listens ok and is very playful like all are but just a little help would be nice. Thanks

If you are going tho have the dog be part of the household, I suggest picking up the book "Game Dog" by Richard Wolters.

It has excellent training methods for not only retriving, but house training as well. The methods are easy on you AND the dog.

Your local library may even have a copy.

sheephead,

I am not a dog expert at all. My lab is 13 weeks old today (purchased from fellow FMer Bryce). On Bryce and Labs4Me's advice, I have followed Richard Wolters teachings to almost a T. We've done very well to this point. She'll stay for extended periods of time (well, 5 minutes has got to be an eternity), sit on command or by whistle wherever she is (with some failures), come on command or by whistle (with some failures), and she enjoys retrieving a little more everyday.

I've learned a lot in the first 6 weeks about training a dog. Wolters emphasizes mixing play and teaching. It really works. For example, I now have the dog bringing dummies to hand (usually) just by goofing with her during rowdy games of fetch. She doesn't even realize she's learning. She just thinks it's the path to more fun. Wolters also emphasizes a serious side to training/teaching as well. I tell you what, a small amount of force really gets a dog doing what you need it to do. Not beating, but a little ear pinch makes them listen when they feel like doing the opposite of your command. Don't let them get away with anything.

Potty training! confused.gif I think my dog has finally got it. 3 weeks ago, I swore she would never get it. They get it, just keep on them.

I'm in your boat. There's bad days and there's days where I think I have the highest potential dog ever. I'm sure it's that way for everyone.

Remember that a dog usually can't totally control its bladder until they are 14 weeks old. Some catch on quicker, but just being dilligent on letting them out after they eat or drink, and no water after say 8pm. Making a big deal about it when they do succeed is good too. Quick tip, if you ever want to teach them to go in one spot, (rocks, mulch ect..) now is the time to do it. You might be able to save yourself some burn spots, or messy shoes.

I have twice used the video ABC's of Retriever Training with a guy named Mike Pind and I'm no expert but that seemed like a simple and effective method for me. My 5 mo old pup is learning under it right now, but my dogs don't get inside so I can't help with potty training specificaly...

Regardless of what system you use, just remember the two most important words in dog training under ANY system...REPETITION and PATIENCE!

What Lawdog said. REPETITION and PATIENCE. Take the puppy outside every 30 minutes and when it goes praise the heck out of it. Do this constantly. You can crate them for a while inside between outings if you like. They will get it. I had a problem in that my wife and I worked and had to leave the puppy home all day. I confined her to a small room and let her go on news paper. I reverted back to above method when we were home. It didn't take long before she quit using the paper. I train more by positive reinforcement than by a heavy hand especially for the basics. i got most of this from Wolters and improvised on the rest. It comes pretty natural to me and I've never had a problem training. No e-colars either.

My lab is now 8 months old and I felt that she caught on to the potty training rather well. With my wife and I both working, I kept her in a crate and changed the size as she grew. Taking her out of the crate, I never let her touch the ground until she was outside in a suitable bathroom spot. Gradually I let her start coming out of the crate on her own, and it didn't take too long before she could walk right to the door and go outside.

-Hossienda

Sheephead,

Indeed it takes time for the potty training buisiness. Our lab is 16 weeks and just about 2 weeks ago FINALLY started letting us know when she has to go. I can not stress enough taking them out as much as possible. We have a crate she stays in and can hold it for a 2 hours, but when she was out of it, she could go every 15 minutes!!

We also leared a great tip from the vet for getting your housedog to have a "potty spot" in the yard and to "pee on command". We got really sick of letter her out and she would just want to play. This is also a great trick because they will learn to go to the bathroom in the same spot so you dont have to clean it up all over the yard (or step in it!! mad.gif)

Here is the trick.

Let your dog out to the same spot in the yard; it's "bathroom". Say a command that you would say every time you want your dog to go. We say "go potty". You repeat this command until they go. If they dont go within 3 minutes, put your dog in its crate for 15-20 minutes. Then let them out and bring them to the same "bathroom" outside. Repeat it if neccessary. Our lab, "Zoe" learned pretty fast that she didn't want to go back in the crate to hold it. Zoe spent quite a bit of time in the crate the first day until she caught on. If they do go, the key is to PRAISE them like crazy and always give them a treat when they go. (we give just a little peice of a treat, otherwise you will have them [PoorWordUsage]ing in the house!) We have a treat bucket right by the door and she knows she will get a treat if she goes potty. She is now weened off the treats and potty trained. Our lab knows now that when we say "go potty" she goes!

Gotta go let the dog out! Good luck!

mw