• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who uses 2lb test line???

PikeTipper

I tried using some a few years ago and after either breaking the line or stretching it out so bad to tie a knot I never even tried fishing with it. What's the secret to tying a knot? Do you think it makes much of a difference fishing 2lb instead of 4lb?

I've used it before. I like it for fishing with spring bobbers. But it sure tangles easy. And if it gets stuck on the ice on the edge of the hole don't try tugging on it. Oh yeah and the knot tying is pretty tough. I've used the polymer knot and it works pretty well. But it's like trying to tie angel hair.

All I use is 2lb on my gill rods - except when the fish get finicky and I drop to clear nylon sewing thread (tests at about 3/4lb). Make sure your knots are very wet, and slide them most of the way together with your fingers - you can't just yank on them to pull them tight. The benefits of using 2lb FAR outweigh any drawbacks. If you are gill fishing, you will catch many, many more fish over 4lb, plus you'll be able to put a better action on your jigs, as well as feel more of what is actually happening down there.

I use 2 pound test for the majority of my crappie and bluegills during the winter. A properly balanced rod is important and a constant steady hook-set will help ensure that you have less break offs. If you are setting the hook too quick or too "snappy" than you are going to break off on some fish. You don't need to whack a crappie, just a steady, but stern, raise of the rod tip will do the trick. Bluegills might be a different story, but I still use 2 pound test. How you position your knot can play a role in break offs too. You want to make sure that your knot doesn't slide or have to re-align when you set the hook. Overall though, I believe the hook-set and a properly balanced rod are most important.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Im with augernaught on this one.. proper lubed line when you tighten is key... When you tighten a knot heat can make the line fail.. .Its amplified by the lighter line. It is also harder on Florocarbon lines. As stated I usually use the 3 lb line... but I use florocarbon...

Spit works.. but a silicone spray or oil base scent works better.

Two-pound test has remained spooled on most of my panfish rods for many years. Consider employing a 6 to 8 wrap Trilene knot, which is looped through the hook eye twice, yielding a higher breakstrength than other knots. Choose an abrasion resistant line, such as Trilene XT, which is tougher-- even in 2-lb. test-- than you think. As Matt suggests, the right rod is, of course, critical to using these light lines. Clearly, though, 2 and even 1-pound test often play a critical role in triggering ultraselective panfish.

For all jigging presentations, other than light spoons or jigging lures, 2-lb. test absolutely yields superior bait control; you can do unique things, can impart unique actions to jigs that just cannot be duplicated with heavier line. The limpness of these lines allows you to fish miniscule 1/64 to 1/200-ounce jigs like a rock. Another sneaky trick is a plain #14 to #20 flyhook tipped with a small livebait, fished on a dropper or beneath a single microshot. Absolutely deadly at times, yet it's another goodie that won't work the same on heavier line. Micro lines make a big, big difference.

-a friend,

Cory Schmidt

Cory have you ever fiddled with these whacky Marmish rods and light line? Definately a crazy looking ice rod system when you first see them.

I seen them in use but never played with them. Kinda cool rigs, and for what I seen productive on fussy panfish.

Very good info. I was pretty skeptical of how big of a difference light line makes until a couple years ago, when I spent a weekend testing the difference. I had the exact same set-up, but one rod was 2 lb and the other was 4. The two out fished the 4 (including in size of fish) almost 2-to-1. I've kept my pannie rods on two pound ever since, and am always surprised the size of fish you can pull on that line without breaking it. And like Matt said the hookset is key. I'm a big believer that you'll loose more crappies on a sharp hookset and heavy line ripping the hook from their lips than you will breaking 2 lb line.

MAN! I've got the fever now.

Hi Ed,

Yes, I've actually got one of them, but the lack of a reel scares me. The instructions say to bring in the fish by hand-- 2 or 1-lb's a little light to be hand-over-hand landing. Love the looks of their lures, though. Should work great this season.

-a friend,

Cory

Toad sez: "Another sneaky trick is a plain #14 to #20 flyhook tipped with a small livebait, fished on a dropper or beneath a single microshot"

Toad,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but can you describe the setup you've listed above? When you say dropper, do you mean a drop line tied below some sort of other lure? How about "beneath a microshot"? Is this to impart some slack below a weight (splitshot)? Thanks in advance for your help! Just trying to become a better fisherman.

Match

I thought they had a tiny crank on the side? When I seen them used was on perch at DL and it was in about 10'. The crew from Iowa did hand over hand them up but I thought it was just due to the depth and the need to get the bait back down fast on the school...maybe not? Man did they spank the perch with them rigs and jigs with larva...Uf-Da!

If that center spool had a ball bearing cage and a crank that sure would be sweet.

I made my own gitar string spring bobbers after that trip and it paid off. Bad deal is they tend to freeze up the line if you get even a few drops of water on the string. I plan to test that new synthetic spring bob type system Frabill has this season and see if I can manage fewer tip tangles and freeze ups.

Eh...bye the way Cory, I have been keeping and eye on your stuff in In-Fish, just gets better and better bud...very well done.

A great tip Hammer. I seen them used, never McGivered up any yet though. Might try that this winter?

Do you weive the line inside the spring and use the end as a guide?

As for knots, I use two wraps through the eye of the jig/hook and less wraps to finish off the knot. I feel I get less line burn that way. A little snot makes good lube too Eh. It be da "Snot Knot". wink.gif

I typically use one pound test for crappies and sunfish, my minnow or dead stick line usually is two pound though, one secret for you guys using light line and not very good eyes, is go to a craft store and buy a needles threader, it has a little loop, slide the line through it and then slide it through the jig eye and BAM your on your way. Make sure you keep the line very wet when cinching down, a loop know also works very well. You obviously cant horse them in but you do get a certain amount of give though, get a good reel with a smooth drag set it loose and your good to go. Jigs fall faster and have a better action when its on the drop.

Tangles are not too bad either, otherwise just cut the line and throw it in your pocket or deal with it when you get home, thats why people bring more then two rods out on the ice. I have had very good success using light line, I have been using it for about 6 years now. Any questions let me know.

Best Fishes

Chris

I use 2lb. and 4lb. P-Line Floroclear. The biggest fish was a 5lb. pike on 2lb. when I was fishing with Matt Johnson last year and on 4lb. an 8lb. walleye at last years Mille Lacs event. I use P-Line year around. Ed, St. Croix is coming out this year with a ice fishing rod that the spring bobber is in the end of the ice rod. I don`t have any pictures yet but be on the lookout for them. I have used the rods( St.Croix start making them this year.I know the inventor) for the last 2 years and don`t fish with anything else as of now. On negitive fish these rod rule!!! You can see a fish breath on your bait. Some of the Pro staff guys seen the rod last year when I came to some of the iceleader events. Fish On

Run the tip of the spring just into the last eyelet, then tape around (electrical tape works well) the perimeter of the spring and the rod together. So your spring and rod blank are taped together on top of each other just inside your last eye. You then feed your line right through the center of the spring (which passes through the last eye) and out the end of the spring.

My brother inlaw spanked me good on some crappies (about 40 to 10) a few years back. They were taking waxies on a small jig and you couldn't detect the bite on even a small bobber. They must have been just mouthing it - one small twitch of his spring, and he had 'em.

I've been using them while running waxies ever since. Works great. I've tried store bought types that don't work as well.

As far as knots go, I prefer the palomar (sp?). Easy to tie, no issues such as "how many twists", and stronger than any knot I've ever tied (wetting it first before cinching) including snells and the Trilene knot.

Won't be long. I've got 3 days of vacation coming up in early December and will be up on LOW. Can't wait!!!!

Good luck - Tim