• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting Boots?

Jigging Bob

confused.gifI am just wondering if anyone out there has suggestions on a good hunting/Ice fishing boot. I basically need them to be comfortable, warm, decent looking, water proof, light weight and not to darn expensive. The basic things everyone wants right. I am leaning towards the Rockies Silent Rat Hunting boots that are about $90. I am totally open to suggestions especially if they are cheaper. I am making a purchase no later than Wednesday this week. So please give me some ideas. Also store locations where you purchased would be nice to.

Thank you.

Hey Jigging Bob -

I like my Mickey Mouse boots for ice fishing, and they are great for stand sitting. I sure would not want to walk far with them, however. Very heavy. Lacrosse Ice Kings are also good cold weather boots. Again, I would not want to walk a long way in them.

I have several pairs of hunting boots. I picked up a pair of Brownings at the Cabelas bargain cave with 800 grams of insulation in them. I used them elk hunting this year, and they were great, even hunting in a foot of snow. The Rockys you mentioned would be ok. I also have a pair of Cabelas Guide Series boots with 600 grams of insulation. I have ice fished in them many times, but my feet get cold in them after a couple of hours if the temps are below 20 (Portable fishing).

If you intend to fish in your perm shack, hunting boots should be sufficient. If you were to sit in a portable with your feet on the ice and snow, your feet will probably get cold. That where Mickeys or Lacrosse Ice Kings are good.

Most importantly, a wool or wool blend sock goes a long way to keeping your feet warm. Cotton socks are a sure bet for cold feet.

Added on edit: If you can, run up to Cabelas and check out the returns in the Bargain Cave. I buy most of my boots there now. You can get a higher quality boot for less $$$ in the Cave.

I don't think you'll find a single boot to do all that you describe. For example, an honest to goodness ice fishing boot would be much heavier, bulkier, and more insulated than an upland bird boot which would likely have little or no insulation and be relatively light weight.

For upland birds I'd go light weight with gore-tex and no insulation. I like Danner boots for upland birds.

For ice fishing a lot of folks like LaCrosse Ice Kings. I have a pair of boots from Cabelas rated for 40 below zero that's passable for ice fishing but I don't fish outside in -10 degree weather either.

For deer you'd probably want something in between. But it would depend alot on whether you hunt from a stand alot or do alot of deer drives.

I think Gissert and Gspman have it pretty well covered. I'd just like to add, don't settle for anything without Goretex, sooner or later you'll be walking in water or wet snow. I think you really need three pair of boots. 1) one pair of light weight early season boots, 0-200 grams of thinsulate. 2) Mid-season boots, 600-1000 grams. If these are your only boots, they will be hot early on and not warm enough on the ice. 3) Heavy weight super boots. I have the Lacrosse Ice kings for cold weather deer hunting and ice fishing and love them. I always used to get cold feet, no more.

Most of my boots are Rocky's, I know that when I order them that 10 1/2's will fit, and even if you pay the big bucks for them, they will last several seasons, then they're my 'around the place shoes'. Well worth the money.

Hey Gissert how you been?

I read you shot yourself I pretty nice buck. Congrats.

I would love to go to the Bargain cave but don't think I can find time for a trip up to grand forks this week and hunting is this weekend already. I probably should have posted this sooner. Oh well. I was thinking any of the 600 to 800 gram boots should be fine for hunting or ice fishing this year. We usually only sit in our stands in the mornings and nights. The rest of the time we are walking. I do currently have some big ole clunkers that I have used in the past. I figured with all this [commercial-or-naughty-word] corn still up I might be walking alot of CRP and wet field this hunting season and I am sure all hunters know by now 10lb boots + 5lbs of mud + a couple miles of walking = one tired one-just-like-silly-me hunter.LOL

As for Ice fishing I rarley got out in the portables last year. Beer just taste so nice in my nice warm 8x12 shack. LOL I am going to try and get up to Fleet Farm or Gander Mountain tonight. I will see what they have for boots up there. Still open to ideas and thanks for the help. Good luck this weekend.

P.S. All these thoughts of Da Tirty Pointer running under my stand is making me not sleep very well this week.LOL talk later

I have a pair of Sorel books that I have had for 6 years now and they are still in good condition. They may be a bit more expensive, but if they last longer than other brands they are actually cheaper! Look around, also check out LaCrosse and Red Wing brands....see what YOU like