• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BassMaster University

Daze Off

I'm thinking of signing up for this event at Bass Pro in Springfield on February 19-20, 2005. Cost is $129 for two days of seminars with $50 tackle coupon at Bass Pro. Presenters are:

Denny Brauer on flipping & pitching, bass & cover and boat positioning.

Mike Auten on reading electronics, GPS and topwater.

David Fritts on deep water cranking and spinnerbaits.

Larry Nixon on the plastic worm and Carolina rig.

Ken Cook on crankbaits, jerkbaits, eliminating unproductive water and more.

Rich Tauber on finesse fishing and the drop shot technique.

Anyone else interested? Only met one person who attended one of these before and they couldn't say enough good things about it (was one in MN last year but not this year)

Daze Off

they hold one in Minneapolis in March usually, but my golf trip always interferes with being able to go. i would be intrested in going, a group of people could go down for it. what are the dates for the one in Mpls?

I have had the opportunity to attend a few of the BASS university sessions both in Minneapolis and Kansas City over the past few years. I would offer that at each of the weekends I've attended I was able to pick up a lot of useful information. As with anything you take away what you want. I would recommend at the very least a notebook, but also a small recorder. I have referred back to the notes I took many times over the course of the past years. Keep in mind that some people are better presenters/speakers than others. I have no doubt that the lineup you've mentioned can catch fish, although their ability to convey that information may be lacking. On the whole if you have the time I would highly recommend you take advantage to listen to these anglers share their experiences/techniques (the $50 BPS tackle is pretty good incentive). What else are you going to be doing in MN in Feb ???

I was thinking the same thing - get a bunch of folks and suddenly the costs go down (travel, lodging, etc) and the fun factor goes up.....

Thanks for sharing your experience with these seminars - that is pretty much what I heard from others who have attended. And, for those who have not been to the Mecca of Bass Fishing (BPS), what a great trip!

Daze Off

Daze – that sounds like a ton of fun! I would totally be up for it because my brother in law just moved down to Springfield for college and I could easily get my wife to go down to spend a weekend with him wink.gif. However, that is the one weekend in February that I have booked already (if you can imagine that). My sister is getting married that weekend and I’m doing the wedding – so as much as I would be up for it, I’m going to have to pass.

Are you planning on doing another trip down there to Table Rock to get in some early bassin’?

Mike,

Gosh, you just have to get your priorities in order - I'm not sure that I understand what the conflict is....<g>

As for The "Rock" - not likely to make the trip this year with anticipation of expenses related to tournaments, etc. next summer and hopefully either of the following: getting rid of my boat for a bass boat or adding good GPS unit to my boat....I would not be opposed to towing someone's boat to Missouri in February and fishing with them (hint, hint, hint)

Daze Off

I have been to two bassmaster universities in minneapolis over the years and would say that of those people on the list both Denny Brauer and David Fritts are excellent speakers and you will be able to get excellent information from them. Mike Auten was so so.

According to my "spousal unit" I am now registered for the seminar in Springfield - if anyone else decides to go, let me know....can't wait - especially after reading the article on them in newest BassMaster magazine....

Daze Off

I'm jealous! tongue.gif I wish I was able to make it down there with you - bro.in law lives is going to college in Springfield and would work out perfectly - too bad my sister's wedding is that weekend... I even tried to talk her out of changing the date... JUST KIDDING wink.gif!

If it was anyone else's wedding I would find a way out of it, but it's my sister's wedding and I'm the one doing the wedding!. It's a little nerve racking, this will be my first wedding as a pastor, and on top of that it's my sister's wedding. If I screw up, I'll have to live with the continue razing (or cold shoulder depending on how bad I mess up - LOL) every family get together!! LOL

That weekend, I even have Presidents day off of work on the following Monday and could have stayed down for a little bass fishing if we had a boat... Needless to say, I'm bummed. I've got the bass shakes too and there is only so much that ESPN's basscenter will help. After a while of watching that, it starts to make things worse rather than better crazy.gif! LOL

really wish VanDam man was going to be there...

I'd still love to see Denny - who has all been to one of these? How many people do they have in the audience at one of these typically? Do you get to meet the guys and all that...

Quote:

If it was anyone else's wedding I would find a way out of it, but it's my sister's wedding and I'm the one doing the wedding!.

oh, I see grin.gif That will be very cool. I'm sure everything will go great. She will appreciate it I'm sure!

I've been to two of these classes and highly recommend them to anybody. All skill levels of fishermen will benefit. I attended one class in Milwaukee and one in Minneapolis, both had about 150-200 "students". I bet the Bass Pro classes will have higher attendance. I have seen most of the pros on your list.

Brauer: Nicest guy in the world. Let me(and others) make flips with his seminar rod.

Nixon: Great guy to try and find away from the actual seminar. He tells it like it is in the real world. Very opinionated.

Fritts: He isn't normal, but you will learn a ton about crankbaits. Claims he can feel when his line contacts a piece of cover before the bait hits it.

Tauber: The most entertaining fishing seminar of my life. Extremely funny. Ask him about hotel room toilet fishing.

Cook: Former fisheries biologist. I really enjoyed listening to how he interpreted fishing situations from a scientific view. (I pursued a career in fisheries mgmt for a while-even got the B.S. degree. The biologist out there today work because they love their job, not because they are getting rich!)

Bring a notebook!

Dan,

The event is on the 19th and 20th so I will go down on the 18th and come back on the 21st.

Here is what my confirmation letter says (in part):

"Hope you can spend the weekend with the pro's at our recommended hotel (reserved there). Staying at the facility will add to your enjoyment of the program."

"Check-in will begin at 7:00 on Saturday morning. Following a short orientation at 8:00 am there will be six different workshop sessions instructed by the pros throughout the day. Following the sessions on both Saturday and Sunday will be an informal "Think Tank" to allow personal visits with each instructor. The program will conclude around 4:00 pm.

Sunday first session is at 7:00 am ooo.gif and end at 2:30 pm. Pros have major tournament to get to on Monday.

Bring paper and pencil - may use tape recorder but no video."

Daze Off

Daze,

I might be interested, could you let me know where you are staying, how much, what time you plan on leaving, etc...

The only problem I have is getting the time off (audit season). I could leave Friday pretty easily, but if you drove back Sunday I could swing that better (with the boss and the Mrs.)than Monday. If you want to reply here you can otherwise you can email me [email protected]

just let me know either way,

Thanks,

Brad