• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big time rain in W. Central MN

Just talked to my folks who live between Willmar and Montevideo and they had 5.5" of rain today. If you plan to hunt W. Central MN keep that in mind. It'll be soggy in the grass and the roads will be greasy with the mud from harvest. This'll likely stop the harvest in that area until the ground freezes. Not what I wanted to hear.

That doesn't sound good. Crops seemed about 50% last I was out.

Will the farmers lose those crops? Allready crops across the North are lost due to the August freeze.

I don't think they'll lose the crop. It'll be awhile until they can get it all out. And it'll probably cost them more to dry the corn. If we get an early snowstorm they could be SOL though. It's all speculation though.

Reason most of the crops are still in is because it saves money on drying costs. The longer they can leave crops in the field, the less money they spend on fuel and electricity drying as well as storage costs. Since the yields are so low, any dollar saved is a huge help.

Too bad with this rain. Now they can't harvest for at least another week and the crops are wetter now than they were before.

NW of Willmar we had 1.8 inches of rain. Lots of corn still in the fields. Could be tough the first weekend of deer hunting!!! Powerstroke hit it right, the farmers were trying to get some drying in the field to save on drying costs. A big snowstorm could ruin there day but with the big equipment they have nowadays, they'll get it out, its just going to be later. Consequently, instead of taking today and all next week off, I'm saving a few days for the Nov. 10-20 period, I think a lot of corn will be going out with the colder weather and frost.