• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Someone with a Chronograph!!!!

On the riply post Rickqik posted that his arrow dropped a lot more because of water on his arrow... I would love to know the change in FPS out of the bow from a dry arrow compared to a wet arrow... Anybody with a chronograph willing to do a test for us?... Dry -VS- Wet arrow... HELP~

I would think that water would be a non-issue once the arrow is released. Take an arrow, get it wet and give it a quick snap with your wrist; I'd guess the arrow would be pretty dry. but if the arrow was shot during rain, a rain drop could hit it as it travels with enough force to cause it to hit low. Ain't got me no chrono of me own.

i have to agree with tom. i used to have a video from easton showing arrow reaction when being shot. release and with fingers. the shaking and shuttering plus the forward thrust that an arrow goes thru would leave very little water on it. if shooting in a rain, it could slow it down some. del

Almost any thing will change your speed ,my uncle test this religiously with his Chronograph from a peep sight to a quiver and I am asmazed what a differace such little things make,and that is what is so differant about bow hunting and I love the challange.

If you have feathers on your arrows they will absorb some water and affect your arrow flight, otherwise if you shoot "plastic" vanes then their will be zero affect on the flight of your arrow. The biggest contributors to affected arrow flight are the strings because of the water absorption into the buss cables and string. If you use a quality no stretch string material such as BCY 450+ and properly wax you will be okay in the rain. This has been proven over and over again especially on field round courses where you shoot out to 80 yards.

Eyeguy... I should have mentioned that with the feathers there are some types that have a tendency to soak up water more than others. Also, when I mention that it will affect arrow flight I am talking about a 3-4" drop at 80 yards, which would be maybe a 1/2" drop at 20 yards. Not noticeable for most shooters but there is a slight affect. If I'm 1/2" off at 20 yards then I will be in for a long day as I will start missing points at tourneys.

As a side note, and at risk of highjacking this thread, you mentioned that you are tuned close to perfect. Have you ever tried group tuning at various distances? Sometimes you will find that being close to shooting a perfect bullet hole through paper works well for your setup but historically(myself and many others) for a right handed shooter you will end up with about a 1/2" high and left tear through paper when completed with group tuning. Which will give you a more forgiving setup when done. Just a thought to try for the future if you haven't already.

I bareshaft tune to get real good flight at 20 yards. I may know you if you shoot a lot. I use to shoot all around the state at the different shoots but then the kids found a basketball grin.gif Getting back to league this year at Mikes archery but not planning on the 3D and field stuff cuz smally fishing is way to much fun to miss. Back to the feathers. The 3D shoots max shots were usually around 50 yards so I didn't see much effect there if wet. I was shooting a beman 50-70 arrow at the time out of a PSE G force. Fast and accurate. Then I went to 1 3/4 inch vanes to help the wind drift. I really like those. If I ever get back into it I'll probably stay that way but as for hunting I stay with feathers. Not enough effect to hurt a shot at a deer out to 30 yards. Even if it dropped an inch it's still in the vitals. I suppose if a guy has a big alluminum arrow with 5 inch soaked feathers it would be a different story. Ex you could swing in to a pro shop and do a test. Let us know if you do cuz now we all needs to know wink.gif.