• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Public Land, who stays/who goes??

Hossienda

I ran into an awkward situation last night and was looking for some takes on it.

I was out hunting a piece of state land and had parked at the state land parking area. The hike back was about a half mile to the area I was going to hunt. I told my partner the spot he was going to sit, and then I went another 100 yards or so and had just found my tree to start getting set up and another hunter strolls in about 40 yards away from me. I didn't say anything right away as I thought maybe he was heading farther back and just went about getting my steps out and setting up. This guy finally sees me and yells over, "A little close!?" I indicate back that it is public land and can hunt where I please. He proceeds to say things and I just decided screw it, I don't need this. I kind of made a ruckus as I packed my stuff back up and headed the other direction and ended up sitting within 50 yards of my friend. We didn't see anything and I am pretty sure the other guy didn't as we could hear him coughing up a lung most of the evening.

So here is my question then, would any of you guys handled things differently? Taken a firmer stance saying this is where I am hunting and I don't care what you do?

-Hossienda

You didn't mention to him that you were there first? Some people are just total a-holes anyway and it might not have mattered, then its easier not to stoop to their level and just move. Either way it sucks to have your hunt ruined.

Although this is a touchy situation... I would say first come first serve.. If that other gentleman was there first, I would have gven him the spot... respectfully... in hopes that if I were there a different night and was there first he would do the same. I am not sure there is a too close distance. I would say that 40 yards may be.. although I have many times hunted with friends that close. I think the land dictates how close people can hunt.

Thanks for the replies. Looking back, as soon as I saw him I probably should have said hello and just chatted a minute as I was there maybe a minute or two before him. He just seemed a bit gruff.

-Hossienda

I agree it isn't too close if you're hunting with somebody & know the deer may come good for either stand site. I too have hunted that close or closer many times. On two occasions we were 35 yards a part & both shot deer with the bow before getting off stand.

However that's pretty close to be hunting to a total stranger & if you were there first he should have probably moved on. I guess I would have probably discussed his plans, asked if he'd hunted the spot before, etc. If I'd hunted it before I'd have mentioned that & tried to work out where we could both setup to help each other, not hurt each other. If he wasn't willing to do that, then he's not much of a guy, let alone hunter, & I can understand your frustration. I feel for you guys that have to hunt on public land.

Interfering with someone hunting is actually a crime. If you are in a spot first and that person makes a commotion, I would call the DNR. Read the statute. I have actually seen people charged with this crime (I am a criminal defense attorney...when I can't hunt).

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/97A/037.html

I have one suggestion, hunt during the week. I know a lot of you guys don't have the oppertunity to go during the week. I hunt 99% of the time on public land and when I go during the week, I am usually alone. If someone else is there, it's usually a local person and you can get some great info on the area if you can talk to them.

Scotty