• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sighting in

Tannor396

Oakdale Gun Club. Open to the public for sure on weekends. From the Cities, Take 94 East to Woodbury Dr. (its the first exit past Radio Drive), Go North to the first stop sign. Its at a tee intersection and the lake elmo reserve is in front of you. Go right about a quarter of mile and its on your left. They have 25 yd, 50 yrd, 100 yrd and 200 yd ranges. Its $15 to sight in your rifle. They also have trap there. $5 a round. We always go once a year to sight in and shoot a couple of rounds of trap. Its a good time and really nice club. No I'm not a member there, I just speak well of it because I think highly of it and I've always been treated well there.

If your on the Noth side near East Bethal the BeaverBrook gun club is open next weekend from 9 AM till dusk.

They only charge $7.00 per gun and they change targets,help spot and do bore sighting as well.Bore sigh cost $2.00 more but better than a half box of ammo to get close.

They have 25,50 and 100 yard targets and 10 benches going all the time.Get there by 8:15 AM if you want first dibs on benchs, or try around noon as the crowds die down for lunch.

Located 1 mile East of HWY 65 on Klondike Drive.

Benny

This is for Benny or Mr.Special, or anyone who cares to respond. Do either of these ranges allow hunting rifles? I called around last weekend and I couldn't find many that allowed rifles. Thanks.

"Watch out, there's a bogey on your tail!"

Yes Beaverbrook is just for legal deer caliber rifles or pistols.They may allow a black powder if they are not to busy, but this coming weekend should be real busy as they were slow on Saturday do to the rain.

Benny

Yes they do. Was just there yesterday and they are offering a special rifle sight in rate. I think it's 30min for like $15 or something. Go early as possible or week nights, it was still about a 20min wait last night.

Good luck

Go even if it is raining, they have a canopy over the benches, if the wind is blowing though that will make it wet under there.

That $7:00 per gun is unlimited time so long as your sighting in and not target practicing.No 30 minute minamum there,but you may have to wait in line for a while to get an open bench.

Benny

I have a question for you guys. Exactly what is the proper way to sight in your rifle. I have heard before that if you sight it in at 25 yards that is will be sighted for 100 yards. Is that true?

Someone can correct me but if your on at 25 you are probably high at 100. I set mine to drive tacks at 50 since 50 or less is where 99% of my shots seem to be since I hunt deep woods. I'm a hair low at 25. I don't get to practice much with my deer rifle so with that setup I aim where a few inch margin of error still does the job. If I hunted an area that offered longer shots I would definitely practice differently. Basically if I aim behind the shoulder from

0-200 yards I get lung. You just made me want to practice more.

take a buddy with you, stabilize the weapon with sandbags or something similar, aim and fire. Then, WITHOUT MOVING THE WEAPON ITSELF, aim at the center and have your buddy adjust the screws until your crosshairs are centered on the hole you made with your first shot. Then fire again. You should be almost right on. and 25 yards is fine for being at zero at 100. Most grain bullets around 140 - 180 will only be 1-2 inches high at 50 yards with trajectory, then centered again when they get 75-100 out. Low over 100 tho, so you will have to adjust for longer range shots. That's been my experience anyway.

My experience with sighting in is that even if it bore sighted, laser bore, etc you still need to shoot the rifle yourself and usually make an adjustment or two. It probably has to do with how you hold your rifle, look through the scope, etc. You'd probably be close but not right on unelss you do that.

~piker