• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help score my buck

hawghunter

First of all, how do I post a picture? I have a few digital pics of a buck I shot with my bow this weekend and I'm hoping someone can give me a ballpark score. It’s not huge but I would kind of like to know.

Thanks

Very Nice buck indeed. Congrats.. a true troph in my eyes. I would have taken him for sure. I would score him(and I am not the most accurate) In the high teens to low 20's..Probably just short of Pope&Young.. but I would get it scored just in case.. I think its going to be very close. Be proud!! You done well!!!

Hawghunter

Whats the inside spread?

I was going to guess at around 110. Plus or minus a few inches.

I got an 8 pt last year that had and 18+ inch inside spread, and real nice G2 length. I don't remember the lengths off hand. It was 124" gross. This was taken with a gun.

I have yet to bag a buck with my bow, and I can say if this guy came by me with my bow in hand, I would be very happy with it.

Nice buck....tough one to pass up. They always look bigger walking around. Roughly, I would score it as follows...

G1's 3

G2's 8

G3's 5

C1 4

C2 3

C3 3

Beams 18

Spread 16

Total (Gross) 104

Pretty scary when you think you have a nice one and it barely scores over 100. It's happened to me plenty of times! Once they get to 10 pts., then you can really rack up a nice score. I shot a 120 this year that I thought for sure was P&Y when I shot. It had 9 pts. instead of 10...couldn't tell for sure since everything happens so fast.

Nice job.

16" inside spread,

Whats minimum P&Y score? 140?

Regardless of what it scores I’m very happy with him.

he is a ND deer that is about 3yrs old and weighed close to 190lbs already. (corn fed)

The memory will last forever; it wasn't my typical sit in a tree stand for 4hrs evening. I was surprised by a train of 7 does coming right to me as I approached my stand location, I hunkered down behind a tree to let them pass. before they were clear I could see three more does coming from the same direction and before they passed I could see even more deer on the way (no facemask, no gloves, no cover sent, very little ground cover) the last group of 6 was all bucks! shocked.gif I had to wait until buck #5 and made a uphill 40 yard shot right thru the goodies

grin.gif

$200 well spent!!!

(closer to $500) crazy.gif

That is a very nice buck Hawghunter! I would guesstimate it in the low 100 class. Maybe 110 gross...

Where in ND do you hunt? I got drawn this year for gun season - I draw every 3-5 yrs. about... I do all my bowhunting in MN, but plan to try in ND sometime.. There are a lot of real nice bucks out there now...

I grew up in Wahpeton ND and have hunted the Ellendale, Forbes, Ashley areas since the mid 80's, as well as a 40 mile radius around Wahpeton

Since moving to MN 8 yrs ago I've not found anything comparable to good old ND. Don’t get me wrong, MN is great deer country. It’s simply a whole different "big woods" ballgame that I’m not used to playing.

Things are really changing out there though. Lots more pay to hunt or leased land popping up

I will also be hunting ND. This will be my 5th year hunting the New Salem area. I agree with what was mentioned earlier about the two states being great deer country, but different in many ways. Good luck to all this year.

I would have to agree with everyone else, I'd say in the 110 range, give or take a bit. That's a heck of a nice rack anyway you look at it. I think those people who only look at the score of a rack are missing a big part of the hunting experience.

Brian

Dan,

My wife grew up around the Mandan area. Her family has a farm around the New Salem area. It sure is nice when one has in-laws from this part of the country. You almost feel spoiled and lucky at times grin.gif Good luck on your hunt and post how your group does. This friday at noon we will be making our first drive and watching the deer fly out of the coulies(sp?).

stillnofish,

Good luck to you guys on Friday... Get some pictures to show! I'm really getting pumped for Friday! Do you guys spot Friday a.m.? We will be out spotting for the big boys in the morning. Was hoping to get up there to spot Thursday night, but won't be able to get up there until late Thursday it looks like.

Dan,

We do not spot on fridays. Her family (retired) rents the farm land to the neighbors that we hunt with. Needless to say, they know where the big boys are generally located, since they live and farm the land year round. Shooting them can be another story. I know there are two big whitetails roaming the land, one being a 6x6 and the other a 6x5. I am hoping to have a chance on the big muley walking around the area. We jumped him twice last year, but could not get a good shot. I will give you an update on monday. Good luck.