• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LOW Monument Bay

Looking for information on Monument Bay area of LOW. Has anyone stayed at "Enchanted Island" and/or fished the Monument Bay area in the First part of June. We are going up in June and are looking for tips or comments on both the fishing and the resort on Enchanted Island

MONUMENT BAY LODGE........

Been there........
Once.............

Yep, go to LOTW about 4 times a year.........

Again, stayed there.........once..........

Here is my review of the lodge.

The year was 2002. The Month of late June. The water table was high that year. Their docks were flooded, however they made no effort to correct them, so in order to get to your boat, you had to walk a 4"x4" beam (we got lucky: we were able to tie up to the dock house, on the shore)

The daily rate is cheap, however, they drill you with a bunch of different taxes. More taxes than I've been exposed to at any other lodge.

They told us to buy their beer from them @ $37.00 a case (Canadian money, they said was the price). Bought 6 cases of beer and it cost $37 per case in US funds.

There is an ice machine. They said just use it and keep track of the bags you use. When we told them at the end of the trip, we used 10 bags of ice, they charged us $40 (US Funds)

They charge $3.75 per gallon of gas (US Funds)

They had leaches and crawlers. No minnows when we were there. The leaches were "small", even though they called them "Jumbo". The crawlers were "angle worms". Each were $4 per dozen.

When we got there, the cabin wasn't ready (there was 6 of us). We arrived 1 hour after our scheduled check in time. As the lady was cleaning up our cabin, she said to give her a minute and she would be done. We said no problem, we just got our gear ready outside. Our food was in coolers, so again, no problem. After 1 hour of her cleaning, she left, so we piled in, packing food into the fridge and the people were taking their beds. She came back after 5 minutes and proceeded to "Chew our azzes". She hollered at us, stating to let her get the cabin ready and we can have it for the rest of the week!!!! (plus, she threw us some vulgarity as well).

So, the cabin is now ready........We pack in there, finished unloading the food, grabbed our rooms. My bed was at a 10 degree angle facing to the bottom left. I had to "shimmy up" the bed to make it sleepable. They didn't make any effort to correct it.

Then, that afternoon, the screen door fell off. We fixed it ourselves........

The lodge opens at 7am and closes at 7pm. Not any earlier in the morning and not any later in the evening (by the way, don't forget it is light out till 10:30pm in mid June). Also, when the lodge closes, everything is locked up. This includes the bait house, and forget about asking for gas "after hours".

The service was sub-par. Enough were I wouldn't go back, even if you gave me the trip for free. I like comfort. I don't need to be catered, but I need a good nights sleep, when I'm casting muskie lures 14 hours a day.

If I recall correctly, the $260 per week, plus tax totalled to about $550 for the week, including the beer, gas, bait, ice. Actually that price was $1100 for two people (me and my buddy were partners in his boat), so the $500 trip had an additional $500 ($250 each) tacked on for the other expenses.

Please note that we brought our own food on this trip. We also got so fed up with them, that after the 3rd day, we started making border runs to the Angle Inlet to get our daily gas ($2.25 per gal), bait ($2.50 per box of crawlers), beer ($18 US), and ice ($2 per bag). This cost placed here is not included in our total cost in the the trip. The above numbers soley reflect what happened @ Monument Bay Lodge (So yes, our bill was still that high!!!!!!!!)

By the way, we were stuck with the beer we ordered, we had to buy it. (And they only had Labatt beer to offer, oh-yea, there were two types of beer: Blue and Light Blue)

If you have a choice yet as to where you can stay, go to Bonnie Brae on Oak Is. Fabulous people with fabulous service at a very reasonable price.

One last thing I almost forgot..........I don't appreciate being threatened not to bring in a Muskie for the wall, however being told it is ok to knife a 26" walleye. Yep, I was told that on the 4th day and a can of Whoop-Azz almost got opened up. I'm a firm beleiver in CPR, but don't threaten me (I also stand 6'7" @ a solid, healthy 300#) And yes, it was a serious threat (something in the terms of: "I don't care if you catch a 50lb muskie, if you bring it back, we are not responsible for what happens to your boat!")

Good Luck!!!

By the way, the muskie fishing in that area is superb that time of the year. Also, not far is superior walleye fishing. Super trophies cruising the waters around there. The fishing was grand for us on our trip.

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

[This message has been edited by Big G- (edited 04-20-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Big G- (edited 04-20-2004).]

Big G,
What a great report! I can tell you weren't too happy with the place but rather than just bashing them, you clearly and simply described in an objective way the costs involved, the services rendered, hours of operation, etc., etc. Sarcasm at its best and some pretty good reading too. Thank you.

Look;

If you want to go to Monument Bay, GO!!! It is very close to some great fishing. Just 1/4 mile away and you are in great waters for big skis......

However, plan on bringing your own food, and honestly, I would plan on running down to the Angle Inlet every day or every other day for supplies.

I guess I'm the type of person, who if I'm going to pay $260 a week, and it is crappy cabins with crappy service, that is fine. I'm satisfied with those options that I chose, but don't chew my azz because you (the lodge) has their head up theirs, and don't give me false info on your pricing and gouge me after the fact.

I personnaly like Bonnie Brae the best. The people there are absolutely wonderful. The dock boys actually ran to us when we rolled up in the rigs. They tied us up, took our fish and cleaned them, filled us up with gas every morning before we started, ran errands for us at the boat on the slightest hint of us saying we needed something. But the 2 kids got $100 each from our party of 4 guys for 4 days of fishing as a tip, because of what they did for us. We even forgot to bring bread on that trip to Bonnie Brae (we always do our own cooking for the fun of it) and the owner gave us all the bread we needed at no charge. They gave us clean linens every day and the overall attitude was just fun.
I think that I wrote out a check for $250 for 4 days of fishing for that whole trip (minus food and drink, and tip).

Last year, I went to Wiley Point. If you want turn key service with no hidden cost, that is the place to go. Everything is "free" except your drink. The food is all you can eat, and if you don't make it on dinner time, the chef (yes the CHEF) will cook you up what you want. They have huge buffets, but if you would rather have a steak or just a simple burger, the chef will take care of you. The food is top notch. Gas was suppose to be 10 gallons per day, per your own rig. They didn't care how much gas we used, they wanted us to have a good time! All bait was there are your taking (minnows, leaches, crawlers). The dock boys took care of ya and made sure you had everything. And best of all, they brought in walleye everyday for shore lunch at the lodge. I think I ate probably 4 or 5 filets every day, plus all the other goodies that go with a good shore lunch. And if you want, they will pack a shore lunch for you to take on the water (and if you are muskie fishing, they will pack walleyes in the cooler for you to cook, so don't worry about catching food, when you are trophy hunting). This trip cost about $900. But that was everything (including free ice grin.gif )

------------------

Ok;

I forgot one thing.........

People up there don't always have access to the normal "supplies" that we take for granted down here. Bartering goes a long ways. They cant' get their hands on good garbage bags.

Also, they don't know what fresh sweet corn is!!!! Let alone, I don't think that they can even get sweet corn. So, if you are going at the right time of the year, pack up the truck!!!! They will love you for it.

And finally (dad taught me this), there are many indians up there that are just flat out poor. If you have clothes your kids have grown out of, take them up there and talk to the locals. There are places that will take them (maybe a church or something) and drop them off. Dad used to go to Saskatchewan back in the 60's and 70's moose hunting and they would take up a local collection of clothes, put them in a U-haul trailer and bring them up to the indian camps for donation. Funny thing was, they guides ALWAYS got them trophy moose??????

So, pending on where you go, if you can do something for the needy, do it. You will be amazed on the service and smiles you get in return. We did this on some fly-ins a few years back, when the camp we always went to had a "youth camp" for troubled kids. It was much appreciated!!! (by the way, the little bit of appreciation found me on a special cabage bed, where I landed 6 pike in the 40" plus range on one trip!!!)

Good luck!

------------------

Great posts! Not only filled with resorts and fishing information......But also lessons of life. How to treat people and how you'd like to be treated in return. It all boils down to respect and honesty. I consider myself a pretty good judge of character, Big G, you get 2 thumbs up!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

At 30 mph Youngs Bay resort is a 15 minute ride away from Monument Bay. They have gas, a bar/restaurant, decent rates, a fish cleaning house, and ice.

I stay at a friends place when I go to the angle but I always buy my license and a shirt or something at Monument. The people at Monument are always nice when I am there.

Thanks for the input so far. It would be nice to hear from someone who has stayed at Monument Bay recently. As far as the fishing goes everything I hear about Monument bay is great for the Muskie action - but we are going up one weekend before the Muskie opener. So, I would love to hear about any June reports for Walleyes and Smallies in the Monument Bay area - is it mainly a great Muskie area or also good for other fishing. As always, I am sure it depends on the weather and other things - but I am just speaking in general for the time period. Thanks again for your input - One last thing to say about LOW/Monument bay area is that it sure gives you nature at its best.

Hoffer,
I can only give you a little info from our trip about 5 years ago. We went the first week of june and were staying at the Angle, but spent most of our time (3 days of 4) in the Monument Bay area fishing walleyes. We had very good luck on numbers of fish, and tho we didnt get any wallhangers, we had lots of numbers up to 26".
Probably the best areas that we found were current areas. Even between 2 islands, if there was current, ther'd be fish. We also had very good luck fishing off some of the points within the bay. 15' was about average depth for us, and leeches worked best (tho you may want to give some of the new plastics/biobaits a try) We caught smallies incedently while we were eye fishing.
Have a gps, and after the first run up from the angle, just follow your track back each day and you can explore different areas around there.
Xplorer

Thanks for the Compliment CIBL!

We are staying at the Angle Inlet the last week in June.

As far as walleye fishing, don't forget shallow reefs. Even where you have naviagational markers. There is a good hump (with a nav. marker) just south of the island, where with a jig and leach, you can catch tons of walleyes!

It looks to be a bit of a regular / later season this year, so you will find your fish shallow.

------------------

Check out Sandys Blackhawk Island Muskie Camp. Some of the best cabins on the lake and very close to Monument Bay. Great owners too. The smallies can be some real fun that time of year, and even a bonus muskie or 2. The walleyes are always biting around there. I can get the number for you if you can't find it. Hope this helps.

Big G-

Hey, thanks for all the advice! One question -when you say a hump "just south" of the island - can you say about how far - your "just south" might be a little different than mine! I seem to remember a navigational buoy on the way into Monument Bay before you get to enchanted island - there probably is only one buoy around there - but just in case I wanted to be sure. I am taking lots of notes - as this is just the second time going to LOW!

Wish I had a map with me........

If I memory recalls correctly, it was just south of the island, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile. It was to the S/SE. I think it was a green marker. It is just a small rock hump. We just jigged and drifted it on an afternoon of relaxation and probably boated 20 fish.

Here is my free advice for fishing the rock humps.

There are millions of reefs on that water. Not everyone is the same. Look for a reef that is in a "pinch of some islands. This type of reef is a "staging" spot or transition spot for the fish. Meaning that they have moved there, coming from the spawning grounds and looking for food. These reefs have alot of food on them. There almost seems to be different fish there every day, as these fish roam alot through the Narrows.

Also, these fish are heading to 2 different areas. 1: The big basin. 2: The Narrows. You will find much bigger fish towards the basin. The Narrows hold some good fish, but mostly seem to just be eaters, with an occasional pig. I'm not saying that there aren't pigs to be caught in the Narrows. But I am saying that there are MANY more pigs towards the basin.

LOTW is a special fishery. You can find walleyes just about anywhere. But you have to do your homework and study the maps to figure out where the big fish roam.

I have a secret hump that I found that is basically a "pit-stop" from the spawning grounds to the main basin. One afternoon, a buddy and I boated 8 fish over 5lbs, with the largest being over 30". We never caught a fish there under 16" that day.

How did I find this..........me and my buddy studied the map over a 12 pack of beverages. We studied that map for 4 hours. We "X" out areas that were "maybes" and highlighted areas that seemed to be the most ideal. We also set ourselves up for a game plan for the duration of the time we were going to be there. Don't give yourself too many spots otherwise you will be running too much and not fishing enough.

You need to figure out where these fish spawn at and where there summer haunts are.

Mid June is a bit early to hit the rock piles of the main basin. What I mean is that they won't be there yet........not in mass numbers. That is July and August fishing.

So, find good rock humps and reefs next to spawning grounds. Also, I wouldn't fish deep water this time of year. I would recommend keeping your target range @ 15' or less for a starter range and work from there. I also wouldn't focus on shoreline presentations either. Stay away from "bald-face" rocks.

If you can find a good bay, with some islands on the mouth of it, with some good size reefs leading out from the islands, I would work that. NOTE: Don't fish the bay. Again, don't fish the bay. Fish the rock humps outside the bay.

As for technique/presentation. I would pull bottom bouncers with spinner rigs. One with Orange, the other in Hammered Brass. Rig one each with a minnow and a leach. You can cover good ground fast with this presentation.

Just remember the basics when you look at the map.
1: Where are the fish going to be that time of year (food)?
2: What is the presentation that the fish want (food)?

Now, for location: Go south of the island about a 1/4 mile to the Navigational marker (the one where I said to fish). Go about 2 or 3 miles east to where the Narrows start. On your map, you will find about 3 or 4 good reefs that lead to the point of the Narrows opening. Fish those reefs.

Again, what are your dates you are going to be there? I'm going to be there June 19th to the 25th. We are staying at the Angle Outpost this year.

Big G-

That is great info. I feel like I should pay you a guide fee!

Not to be anal but I have a few questions to clear up...

1. Where/what area is considered the "spawning grounds", what area is the main basin - and what area is the "narrows".
I have a map at home and could look at those areas but dont know where to start.

2. What do you mean by Bald-faced rocks??

3. You stay away from the shallows for walleys - but for a break have you tried the shallows for smallies - what is the best luck with them in shallow or out deeper that time of year.

we are going up one weekend before you - we will be leaving the 13th.

Big G-

Perfect explanation. I am very clear on what you are meaning. Thanks very much for the info. and I will keep referring back to this post in case any other ideas come up.

As for shallows, I'm not a bass guy...........Not at all........

I only fish walleyes and muskies (once in awhile panfish on local lakes for entertainment)

As for the Basin and the Narrows:
The Basin is the "big lake" North of Baudette and South of the Angle Inlet.
The narrows is the "Big Narrows" on the Map.

Monument Bay is at the NW corner of all of this. Approximately 5 miles South is the Basin. Approximately 5 mile East is the Big Narrows.

As far as what are "bald face" rocks. These are the smooth rocks that you see gently slope into the water. At times, you will find skis and smallies on these, but there really isn't much "structure" to hold walleyes. They are smooth rocks that don't really offer much food.

The benefit about the reefs is that they hold crawfish, leeches, and baitfish.

I know there is good walleye action in the general area around Enchanted Is. However, I never really fished it that much, because I'm primarily a reef guy and I know they hold good fish and good numbers of fish.

I'm giving you 15 feet as a start point. But that doesn't mean they ain't at 10 feet and they ain't at 25 feet. In general, you will find most of your big fish at the bottom of these big reefs. And yes, some of these reefs are in 40 or 50 feet of water, but it is a bit early to fish that deep for consistent action and it is really hard on the fish to pull them up from that deep.

When you look at the map, you will see these sunken islands or reefs. I prefer not to fish the smaller ones in the middle of open water. They generally don't hold much. Even larger reefs in the middle of "know where" don't hold alot. However, if you find a 15' reef inbetween 2 good rocky islands, I would have to say you will score.

Feel free to ask away with questions.