• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Families that don't like your fresh venison?

Oh, the wife and I talked about it again this morning. We have a freezer full of all kinds of venison jerky, breakfast sausage, salami, etc...
She makes breakfast today with some Jimmy Dean sausage.

"Geez! Use the venison breakfast stuff."
She says, "I don't like it!"
Come on! How can all of it be sooo bad.

Grrrr. Its one of those deals if she doesn't know what she is eating its fine, but unfortuneately she knows what stuff I have in the freezer.

I go to the extent to have most of the deer made into sausages and stuff, so its mixed with pork and other stuff, in hopes she will like it.
No luck. Next year I may as well make the entire deer into one big piece of Jerky for me!

That is too bad. My wife and kids love it! I make the best cuts--chops and tenderloins--into steaks. We have hamburger made with pork shoulder added. Round steaks for chili and stew. Everything else goes into sausage, polish and sticks. We go through three deer per year, easily, usually running out sometime in September or October. I can't imagine shooting it if I can't eat it, but I know guys in our camp whose wives won't cook it--and they end up throwing it out after sitting a year in the freezer. What a waste!

Here's what worked for me. Since I do most of the cooking in our house, I have an advantage. I saved the packaging material (saran warap and styrofoam tray) from a package of store bought ground beef. I kept it hidden in the back of the freezer. Every time I cooked with ground venison, I would simply take out that old packaging and lay it on top of the garbage in the garage can. My wife would ask me if the dish was beef or venison to which I always replied "beef". She would then go look in the garbage can to see if the beef package was in there. Sure enough, there it was! wink.gif She would then eat the meal without question. After about a year of this little trick, I confessed to her what I had done. She was a little [PoorWordUsage]ed, but now eats it. The sausage, sticks and smoked polish she already liked, so it was just the ground venison that I had to fool her with. Good luck, but if you can't convince them, then it's just all the more for yourself!!

[This message has been edited by hunt4food (edited 01-17-2004).]

If I grill steaks or chops my wife will eat them and usually enjoy them, but if I ask her first she'll usally say she wants something else for dinner.

Most of my venison is ground into burger with nothing added. It's extremely lean and very tasty (and cheaper than making sausage). We go through 2 or 3 deer worth of ground venison each year. Tacos, lasanga, spaghetti, hamburger helper, sandwich irons in the fire, topping on pizza, etc. In my opinion straight ground venison is too dry to make hamburger patties for grilling, although if you mix in some onion soup mix they're not too bad.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by PerchJerker (edited 01-18-2004).]

Oh I have tried it all.

It won't go to waste. Just kinda funny, cuz it's all in her head.
She likes store bought sausage and such. Its just a lame a$$ excuse for nothing on her part.
Oh well. I'll invite the neighbor guy over tonight for some backstraps on the grill and a cocktail.
MMMMMMMM
She can have hamburger helper tonight.(Not with venison burger either) wink.gif

Biglake, it doesn't matter what you do or say, the only way to get them to eat it is....To fool them! Sad but true. frown.gif Even after they eat it, and say that they like it, they refuse to eat it again knowing that it's venison. mad.gif Maybe you could take her on a tour of the Jimmy Dean plant....I'd bet she'd change her mind after seeing where those "pretty" little sausages came from, and see them handled and made by strangers!!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

That's one thing, get a load of this. My wife and kids love venison. They love the steak and eat the jerky faster than I can make it. However, since the whole media-fueled fiasco about CWD hit the news, my wife has not allowed the kids or herself to touch it. Even though I have shown her piles of evidence from countless experts that CWD is not transferable to humans and that there has never been a case of CWD found in wild deer in MN, she will not touch it. So, while I sit and enjoy a beautiful venison steak, or chew on some tasty jerky, the kids sit there and whine because they can't eat it. I've reasoned with her until I'm blue in the face but she won't budge. I just don't get it.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)

grin.gif
Biglake give some directions to your house, have the grill on, and a JAR ready for cocktail's. Sound's like a great time to me. My wife hunt's and fish's with me, the freezer is full. We have halibut, elk, walleye, northern, crappie, pork, and 4-5 deer. Every kind of venison you can think of. It all tastes great. If it dose'nt, it's because the animal was'nt taken care of properly. Hunt on, fish on, trap on, ETC.

------------------
"THE LANDING STRIP"

My wife would not even touch veni when I met her about 8 years back. I finally convinced her to try it and viola...she starts to like it...then comes pregnancy. I cooked it once when she was pregnant; big mistake. She has not liked it since that moment. Women are truly from Mars!!!They are not of this planet!!

For those of you that want to know where the 1st annual Grillin' & Chillin' will be held, I live in Big Lake. (Pretty original handle I have, huh)

Look for the plumes of smoke over the St Francis River north of town, and follow your noses.
The grill will lead you......

Sounds like you need to have a party and post it here. You will be out of meat in no time. Where are you located?

This might be a great thing to do. I have not made it to a fishing event on the site due to work but how about a big FM smoker???

Think of all the great game and fish we can have? Maybe a cook off or rate different meat market sausages to find the favorite, for the hunters and the eaters?

There must be a non-fishing or hunting day we could create to enjoy the fruits of our labors?

No freezer burned items allowed!!!

Eat on. Is there one of these already going?

Hey Big Lake you're practicly neighbors with my folks. They live just off 47 south of the elk river. As a kid I spent a lot of time fishing and hunting out your directions. Now there more homes out there than you can shake a stick at.

Now to the topic at hand. The kids have always loved eating venison. It took a while to get my wife to eat it. For years she has loved steaks and chops. But would not eat venison burger. She admitted it was all in her head. See, when she was a kid her dad paid someone to process his deer and told them to grind it lean without any tallow. They guy told him it needed tallow so it would fry and proceeded to add it anyways. Ruined all the burger. Of course they still ate every last bit of that veni burger. She said that not only did it taste and smell bad but that it actually coated her mouth with tallow. Her mom tried to hide it by adding hamburger but there was no covering it up.

This season with high beef prices she has gotten over the hump. We've probably eaten 30-40 lbs of venison burger already.