• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any one still bow hunting?

just wondering if any one has still got it bad like myself? i have ...projects to accomplish, here in the next few days, but i see time freeing up a little, and i still have a feeling. ever get one of those?
hard to shake, this deer hunting thing. i do not know whether to love the all season tag, or hate it. i will let you know when the season comes to a close smile.gif

I hear you jiggle. I'm heading to LOW this weekend for maybe the last go. Hopefully I can get a little ice fishin in. It disturbs me seeing the bow hanging when the season is still on and I have a tag left. I've been shutout this year so far. Over Thanksgiving I had the dreaded twig swat my arrow off course just b/4 the deer. Lower light and couldn't see the twig and it was the only one in the area. I may also have be a short timer at my folks over Christmas to get my last last bow hunt in. Good luck to you.

I have been going out about 1-2 times a week down in cannon Falls, or up in Milaca...the deer don't appear to be moving as much up north, but south i have been seeing a lot more deer. There is a lot of sign in both areas, but i don't know when they are moving? I have had some yearlings come within shooting distance, but the big doe likes to stay farther out and stands watch of the field...but there still is time...and yes i still have the fever to get out, but the wife does not share my same sentiment!!! We still have 2 weeks to get out so i will still try....

fisher98

DuckJ

Not that its probably any of my business, but you say you have 4 tags left to fill in the family.
Do you mean you personally have 4 tags to fill or that family members still have open tags?
If family members have open tags, those individuals need to be out hunting with you, in order for you to fill their tags.
More importantly, if you happen to have the All-Season tag, you cannot party hunt at all.

Sorry if I read to deep into your post.

yup i still have the fever i think i screwed my self over though. about a week before gun season i passed up two nice 8 pointers trying my luck at this nice 10 i was watching but guess what all three of them got shot durring the gun season. now im going to go out every day its nice having over 2 weeks vac for x-mas now all i care about is shooting a doe or a nice buck to fill the freezer. the deer are moving like crazy down in the south here and there in big groups im seeing about 15 to 20 on a good night. so far the ones that have walked buy are yearlings or small bucks but i just spoted a nice buck the other night but couldnt tell how big. maybe just maybe theres a big buck left in my future??

------------------
SHAUN

fish or sleep?..........FISH!

Not that its probably any of your business, but I do have 1 tag left, my brother have 1 tag left and my brother inlaw has 2 tags left. I know the law.

Happy Hunting
Duck

[This message has been edited by DUCKJ (edited 12-18-2003).]

Just mentioned to my wife this morning that we should get out on Sunday, the temps are supposed to be mellow. Shes just starting to bowhunt and it seems like every spot I put her, she never sees a deer, let along getting a shot! Need to get her 'a close encounter' so she gets the fever! As for myself, I still have a buck tag, but with two does already in the freezer, it better be a big buck before I'll shoot it! I may make it out around the 27-28th too. Yet theres early season ice fishing to do, so many lakes to try, got some winter shop projects that I need to get started on, some woodcutting to do.... Decisions, decisions!

Will make it out one last time on Sunday. First year I haven't shot a deer with my bow. Might have somthing to do with moving to the metro...On a side note, saw a 4 pointer and a HUGE 10 pointer while grilling last Sunday night. Got to within 15 yards before I grunted at them. All that smoke and no camo and yet they were close enought to shoot????Hmmm, something to be said about all the fancy camo we buy!!!

Just put the finishing touches on my bow season last night. Took a fat doe. Pretty cool I had 14 deer withing 30 yards at sunset. 2 bucks 1 was a second year other a small 4 Let them walk shot a nice fat doe out of the herd. Good season for me no trophy but plent of action. Hopefully that second year I passed on last night will be there for me next year
LAB

one thing for sure, if you would have shot him, he would not be there next year!!
we passed up alot of deer this year, in hopes some of them would trickle through all the mishaps and traffic and such to possibly get a shot next season. i will make it out again. hopefully this weekend.

------------------
what!! i didn't have any corn!!?? jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

I had been watching this big buck off and on for a little more than 2 weeks. Finally, on the eve. of 12/24, at 4:43pm. I stabbed a nice 11 point dressed, 223lb buck. He was at around 23 yds. 4 does came past, and I could see him just inside the willow swamp, back about 50-60yrds. I was worried he was'nt coming out till after dark. He had the gray around the eyes and nose, guessing around 5 to 6 yrs old. The rocky mountain tip did nicely. He went no more than 40-50yds over hill and started back into the swamp towards where he came. This day is one that I will cherish forever!! shocked.gif

You are not going to believe this.

I shot a doe a short while ago.
Talk about cool!
My first deer with a bow.
I was out less than an hour.
She walked right to me, and I drew back, and my darn rubber tubing snapped off my peepsight. Also behind her were 2 fawns and they didn't spook off thank goodness. She stared at me for a while, then came closer, stopped again. Still looking straight at me. No shot available. I am still holding at full draw.
She comes closer and turns perfectly broadside at less than 15 yards.
It was a couple minutes at full draw, I was beginning to shake, and my hand holding the riser was starting to go numb on me!
Wow, I am still shaking. She ran about 30 yards and stopped where I could see her. I think I heard her tumble in the brush, but I am waiting for an hour to go follow the trail.
I had a good pass through shot, so I pray to find her nice and close.
PS - Did I mention that I am still shaking?
I am at wits end sitting here. I want to go find her, but I just gotta wait it out.

Got her!
30 yards from the original shot.
I little farther back in the rib cage than I would have liked, but it was obviously lethal.
Upon further examination of the shot and my location, I had some small twigs between me and the deer, and it looks like the arrow may have deflected slightly, hence the shot being a little off the mark. (Maybe thats it, but I am going back tomorrow to investigate the scene to learn from it).

Wow. What a surprise event for the holiday weekend.

Your first bow deer. Congrats. Let me tell ya,the feeling you are feeling never goes away. I feel the same after every deer I shoot. Awsome feeling!
Once again congrats!!!

Happy Hunting
Duck

I woke up last night a little after 4 am, and layed there replaying the event for almost 2 hours, and where I am putting my stand(s) next year, and how to position them for various wind directions, and the proximity to bedding areas, and.......
I have shot plenty of deer with the firearms, but the bow kill is something unique.
Up close and personal.
I have bow hunted for a lot of years, but never seriously. Not even close to being a serious bow hunter.
Duck hunting takes presedence from opening day until deer firearms season. Then muzzleloading comes into view. (I started muzzleloading last year and I love it).
Then there are a few nights where the boat gets dumped in to chase some walleyes.
Now I go and shoot my first deer with the bow, and my priorities are gettin all messed up again.
How do I possibly enjoy all the different fall sports and put in the time that I want?
I think bow hunting has now moved up on the list of priorities.
Wow. What a blast!

biglakebass, congrats on the deer! Glad to see you're hooked! I've alwasy said, there is no comparison between gun and bow hunting, both are exciting, but the excitement of having that deer at 20 yards, then the rush when you get the shot off! Can't be beat! Better than sex!

Good luck managing your time next fall! October and Nov should be twice as long!!!

I may get out the next couple of mornings. I'm crazy about bowhunting, but this year I bought a new pup. He did so well in training, I've been hunting him every chance I get. In past year I usually get out in woods 3-4 times a week. Not this year, I put my bow away after thanksgiving weekend and hunted with my Llewellin ever since.

biglakebass...

Congrats on the 1st bow kill... it can not be compared to rifle hunting.

I love waterfowl hunting myself .. but after experiencing bow hunting in the very early season.. ducks have been put 2nd. The 1st 2 weeks of the season I was watching 8-20 deer like clockwork every evening.. watching the fawns playing like puppies and the adolescent bucks playfully sparring in the middle of the hay field in broad daylight.. its a lot like watching the Discovery Channel before hunters have the deer all stirred up.