• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

An Englishman abroad

Hello USA
I'm on holiday next week for 10 days or so in Winona Mn and would really appreciate any help regarding carping in the area. I'm bringing some basic kit, and need help on locations, bait etc. I've been to the area on a non fishing trip ( my wife comes from there and we're visiting family ) but this time I've got leave to go and fish for a few days at least.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Cheers
yep, can't wait to have a go on it however my experience here is purely stillwater - no rivers that size or that hold carp around here! I know they like slacker water though. Anyone know of any lakes/ponds as well?

Welcome, EnglishSteve!
Lakes and ponds are a tougher hunt, in my opinion. I've had my best luck in moving water. Try anywhere above or below a dam where you think the water looks slack or just right.
Please let us know how you do, and what rigs/bait/method you use. Others and myself are quite curious to compare and contrast English & Yank methods.
Godd luck and have a good holiday!

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

I fish for carp quite a bit, but not much in the lakes or ponds. However, if you read some of the posts in this topic, I'm sure you will find some useful info for ponds and lakes. I understand the carp is held quite highly in europe, so don't be surprised if you see some people with looks of disgust or surprise if you tell them you are fishing for carp, ignore them, just more fish for the rest of us! Good luck

Yeah, EnglishSteve -
Some yanks get kinda snobbish about people here in the states Carpfishing (kinda like the title of this forum suggests) but they don't realize it's only the states that downgrade this brute. Don't let a few wankers get ya down. Heck, I wish I could spill some spots to ya, but I don't get out yer way much.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Steve, I would suggest trying the Miss, just a mile or so north of Winona, at lock and dam 5a. On the MN side there is a spillway that is easily fished from shore. I would try fishing the first 100yards down from the spillway, I have seen some bigguns come out of there. For fishing the current, just use enough split shot to get it to the bottom, if your having problems with snags, use a three way, with light line going to as little weight as possible(just a couple split shot).

If you don't want to fish any current, you can go to the top side of the spillway and fish, still some current, but its minimal. Otherwise there are a couple backwater areas on the way to the spillway. One I would recommend is right off the road on the way, I can't remember the road #, but you will see a culvert with pretty good flow going thru it, just east of that, along the road you will see plenty of good shore to try. There are usually plenty of others fishing the area, you can't miss it, otherwise the bait shop near the railroad tracks will point you in the right direction.

A few lake possibilities would be Lake Lacanne, and Lake Winona, but I would say the Miss is your best bet.

(I looked at my atlas and both of the places I recommended are on Prairie Island Rd)

[This message has been edited by Sarge (edited 07-09-2003).]

Aquaman,

Ever since the start of this forum, I've tried subtely, several times, to suggest changing the name from "Non-Gamefish" to "Real-Gamefish." So far, no dice. smile.gif We'll keep plugging away, but I'm not holding my breath. wink.gif

Still love the classic cartoon by Jack Ohman, in his book, 'Fishing Bass-Ackwards' of the pot-bellied tournament bass pro (undoubtedly named Bubba) standing at the scales, proudly displaying his big "bass," which is actually a carp with a black stripe spray-painted down the length of the fish. Gotta get this book if you don't have it already. Great fishing humor.

-Toad

Yeah, real gamefish! Englishsteve, if you get up to Mpls. try Harriet or Calhoun. I've been seeing some pigs up shallow lately while bassin'. I'm bringing the can of corn next time in case the bass aren't biting. The Mpls. lakes have always been very good for monster carp. Good luck, Vern

Hey Steve:

As I write this, I'm sure you're still in America on vacation, and may not be tuned in via computer.

But hoping you'll see this when you post your fishing report, I'm encouraging you to go to the new shore fishing board on this forum. Just started up, and we know darn well folks in Britain and Europe have a deep well of experience shore fishing, as well as techniques few people over here have heard of.

Hope your fishing over here was all you'd wanted. Hope you'll tune in. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]