• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice house: LED trailer light ground jumpers

Jmnhunter

Noticed one of my rear running lights--the red led strip towards the top-- works intermittently; and the drivers side LED is dim. From what i've read, the ice castle's grounding wires are behind the aluminum panels on a bolt, saw a Youtube video of some lady who had a good video on it. anyhow, it would seem easier to run a jumper directly from each rear light to the frame correct?

Yes, but not the best looking and those cheap striplights are closed units so you can’t get into them. If you just take the light off you might find a loose wire if they aren’t behind the tin.  Check the pigtail connections too, and the truck plug and wiring. 

Edited by Hawg

Yes. Did you add anything inside where you might have punctured a wire with a nail or screw? It could still be as simple as a loose connection so take the light off. Usually a bad ground will screw up both tail lights by signals not working or very dim break lights. I’m betting on loose connection. The pigtail connections are also common to screw up.  First, You did clean the plug and truck pins I hope?

Edited by Hawg

Ice Castle has changed so many things over the years you never know where things really from one year model to the next. If they really go to a bolt there’s a million things that bolt could touch but usually wouldn’t screw up the grounding ability. 

On 1/14/2020 at 1:10 PM, Jmnhunter said:

it would seem easier to run a jumper directly from each rear light to the frame correct?

Daisy chain a ground wire from one light to the next. From the last light in the chain, run a wire to the white wire on your flat plug (trailer side) that connects to the truck. The white wire of the connector on the truck side is connected to the frame of the truck which is tied to the negative post of the battery. Should be solid then. If you can, use dielectric grease on all connections.

Edited by Grainbelt