• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Unit Oil In My Gas Tank By Mistake

Gunnin4fish

Question

I was winterizing my boat motor (1991 40 HP 2-stroke) and I put about 4 ounces of lower unit oil in the tank by mistake.  I already put the gas stabilizer in.   I was in a hurry and evidently not thinking straight.

It was the last thing I put in the tank before topping it off.  I haven't run the engine. In fact, it's in storage until May now.

I'm thinking I have to drain the tank in May and start all over with the mixture.  

What do you folks think??

Edited by Gunnin4fish

1 answer to this question

Yep, just drain it next spring. Not a big deal if anything it may help the stabilizer keep the gas fresh! 

Not as bad as filling your Dualsport bike up with diesel fuel in a small town in the middle of no where by mistake! ?

Luckily there was a boat repair shop close by that pumped it out and refilled it for me.  They did it free, the laughing was worth it for them! ?