• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice House Wheel Well Question

TheDotz

So Im starting my second Ice House build.  Last years worked but wanted to improve.  This year I bought a 2010 8x16 camper that was flooded to start out with.  I couldnt pass it up at $400.   I completely gutted the camper down to the studs.   My next step is to cut out the wheel wells to get ready to take to the machine shop to build the drop axles.  My question is what is the dimensions of the wheel wells on a Ice Castle or similar brand?   I live in SW Iowa and we don't have many Ice Houses around for me to compare to.   Id like to get the wheel wells rough cut out before I take it to the fabricator.

Thanks in advance

This is the camper Im starting with.

IceHouse.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Wow for $400 bucks it looks like you have a good foundation for a nice house.  Not sure if you pulled the walls apart but if it was flooded the insulation in the walls may also be pretty wet. You may want to remove that so it doesn't mold or freeze in the winter if still wet.

Good luck and keep posting pictures of your progress.

Sorry, not much help on your question.

32 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Welcome to the forum.

Wow for $400 bucks it looks like you have a good foundation for a nice house.  Not sure if you pulled the walls apart but if it was flooded the insulation in the walls may also be pretty wet. You may want to remove that so it doesn't mold or freeze in the winter if still wet.

Good luck and keep posting pictures of your progress.

Sorry, not much help on your question.

I got the floor and walls ripped out.  Im starting fresh, down to studs on everything.   Im at the stage where I will get the wheel wells cut out and the drop axles built.  Then the fun stuff begins, hopefully all done before the ice sets in.

My thought was building an axle similar to this.   Then instead of using cranks I was going to use some 5000lb Square Bullydog jacks.   Then making a handle I could put my impact on to lift and lower the Ice House.    With having the camper, I already have the axle, electric brakes and springs.  Its just the matter of welding it up and making it work.  This is an example of the Clipper Ice, which Im trying to duplicate, just trying to find the dimensions.

Axle.png

ClipperIce.jpg

Edited by TheDotz

If you decide not to move forward w/ building your own axle setup, you may want to check w/  CW welding in Vesta, MN. They are liquidating a lot of their fish house stuff, I assume since they no longer have the contract w/ Ice Castle. You might be able to pick up a set cheap. The new "cool thing" on the block is composite bushings.... check out this link.

When I built my wheelhouse 5 years ago I wanted total wheel alignment capability. I designed my axles around bolt on wheel hubs with ability to compound shim achieving correct camber and toe. Saw way too many boat trailers with serious worn tires due to hubs welded to axels. (Tire in photo attached to 2x4 was used during build so I could cut the grass.)

20191210_143944.thumb.jpg.69b6e26910ff61d303f9a0f520b7ecdc.jpg

20 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Wow, you really stripped her down.  Nice work so far, but you better keep working. The ice is getting thicker by the day!  ?

It was a flooded camper to start.  $400 basically I paid for a rolling shell.  Here is Iowa not much ice yet, Okoboji should cap tonight.  So hopefully in a couple weeks we will be fishing.  Im wiring it tonight and insulation late this week.  Hopefully we will be done before the 1st of the year or so.