• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drum Brakes Or Disks?

Hawg

I made a bad decision when my Miltona trailer was built in that I didn't have brakes put on. I'm about 4500#s loaded and it does pull great and stopping isn't a huge problem if I drive defensively but I'm really thinking i should add them. It looks to me that drums will be about $300 in parts to do.My brother and i will do the installation.  I haven'd done much research on this except for friends telling me freeze up stories about drums. The wiring for the electric brakes is also a problem now that the house is on and I can't run the wires thru the walls. I would appreciate any insight you guys can give me. 

Edited by Hawg

Better get busy before freeze up.   

Minnesota Trailer Laws & Trailer Regulations. A trailer or a semitrailer with a gross weight of 3,000 lbs. or more, or a gross weight that exceeds the empty weight of the towing vehicle, must be equipped with brakes that can adequately control the movement of and stop and hold the trailer or semitrailer.

Seems a little expensive if its a single axle but maybe not. I've seen guys selling stacks of brakes on craig list before...

Go drum. Disc are just going to rust every time out and much more expensive.

Edited by vtx1029

10 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Minnesota Trailer Laws & Trailer Regulations. A trailer or a semitrailer with a gross weight of 3,000 lbs. or more, or a gross weight that exceeds the empty weight of the towing vehicle, must be equipped with brakes that can adequately control the movement of and stop and hold the trailer or semitrailer.

I know that, I know also I should have put them on at the welder.It wasn't a shining moment for me.

2 hours ago, Hawg said:

I know that, I know also I should have put them on at the welder.It wasn't a shining moment for me.

I just said that because you were sounding a little ambivalent about doing it in the original post.   

As for the whole drum/disk/electric/hydraulic I don't have much to add.   My boat trailer has hydraulic surge drums and I haven't had any problems but I don't tow my boat that much.  Mostly sits on a lift.   

I am interested in the options and what you decide, just from curiosity.  

I do know that if my car sits outside without being driven for a while, the rotors get rust on them.  

On 10/1/2018 at 7:27 AM, vtx1029 said:

Seems a little expensive if its a single axle but maybe not. I've seen guys selling stacks of brakes on craig list before...

Go drum. Disc are just going to rust every time out and much more expensive.

Yup^^^