Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Hawg

Drum Brakes Or Disks?

Recommended Posts

I made a bad decision when my Miltona trailer was built in that I didn't have brakes put on. I'm about 4500#s loaded and it does pull great and stopping isn't a huge problem if I drive defensively but I'm really thinking i should add them. It looks to me that drums will be about $300 in parts to do.My brother and i will do the installation.  I haven'd done much research on this except for friends telling me freeze up stories about drums. The wiring for the electric brakes is also a problem now that the house is on and I can't run the wires thru the walls. I would appreciate any insight you guys can give me. 

Edited by Hawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better get busy before freeze up.   

Quote

Minnesota Trailer Laws & Trailer Regulations. A trailer or a semitrailer with a gross weight of 3,000 lbs. or more, or a gross weight that exceeds the empty weight of the towing vehicle, must be equipped with brakes that can adequately control the movement of and stop and hold the trailer or semitrailer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Seems a little expensive if its a single axle but maybe not. I've seen guys selling stacks of brakes on craig list before...

 

Go drum. Disc are just going to rust every time out and much more expensive.

Edited by vtx1029

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Minnesota Trailer Laws & Trailer Regulations. A trailer or a semitrailer with a gross weight of 3,000 lbs. or more, or a gross weight that exceeds the empty weight of the towing vehicle, must be equipped with brakes that can adequately control the movement of and stop and hold the trailer or semitrailer.

I know that, I know also I should have put them on at the welder.It wasn't a shining moment for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hawg said:

I know that, I know also I should have put them on at the welder.It wasn't a shining moment for me.

I just said that because you were sounding a little ambivalent about doing it in the original post.   

 

As for the whole drum/disk/electric/hydraulic I don't have much to add.   My boat trailer has hydraulic surge drums and I haven't had any problems but I don't tow my boat that much.  Mostly sits on a lift.   

 

I am interested in the options and what you decide, just from curiosity.  

I do know that if my car sits outside without being driven for a while, the rotors get rust on them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A trailer for winter use I'd go electric.  I'll second drums as well.  $300 seems about right.  Hopefully you have the mounting flange already welded on the axle, if not you'll need to have that done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

ST-flange is there. Without it I don’t think it would be possible. Defiantly not worth the price I have to believe. 

Edited by Hawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2018 at 7:27 AM, vtx1029 said:

Seems a little expensive if its a single axle but maybe not. I've seen guys selling stacks of brakes on craig list before...

 

Go drum. Disc are just going to rust every time out and much more expensive.

Yup^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×