• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Large screen gps

Baggerman

SO the ice show is coming and I plan on buying a new gps to move back and forth between my truck and sled.

I work road construction so there is no time for me to fish in the summer but I'm thinking  a boat gps would work best (big screen and big buttons)

I don't need the transducer, and don't think touch screen would work well in the cold.

any suggestions on what works and what doesn't would be greatly appreciated.

I run an HDS5 on my sled with no issues.  The bigger color screen is very nice for navigating while driving.  It is probably overkill for the application.  For a few bucks less you can get the Elite-5m HD CHARTPLOTTER which is mapping only and no sonar or ducer.  This was a unit from my boat.

SO the ice show is coming and I plan on buying a new gps to move back and forth between my truck and sled.

I work road construction so there is no time for me to fish in the summer but I'm thinking  a boat gps would work best (big screen and big buttons)

I don't need the transducer, and don't think touch screen would work well in the cold.

any suggestions on what works and what doesn't would be greatly appreciated.

You can pick up some nice older used ones on that sale page if you just want a bigger GPS. I use an old XOG on my sled still for ice fishing but when it dies, I'll be going with an older fish locator just for the GPS. 

I spent $20 on the Navionics app for my iPhone and it has been a dream for getting to my spots (and dropping waypoints for said spots).  Isn't necessarily the MOST accurate option, but if you have a separate ducer it really isn't that big of a deal when you start cutting holes.  In fact, I usually just cut away the first couple of inches of ice, splash some hot water from a thermos down, and set my ducer on that.  Finding depths hasn't been an issue yet!  Now if you want to actually mark some fish, cut all the way through...

I use a Samsung Note ll with Navionics for the lake and Navigator for the road. Once the GPS acquires the satellites it is very accurate. I have no service on the Note and use only GPS. You can get a Samsung Tab 4 in 8" and 10" if you need a larger screen. Make sure you get a Quad core processor. I have not figured out how to use google earth on Navionics without cell service but there has to be a way to download the Earth maps to use them offline. You can also upgrade Navigator with Tom Tom maps for a pretty small fee. I also have a large capacity battery on the ice.

I have an extended run time battery for mine. The boys call it the "brick" it's big, but they are amazed when I'm still running and they are tied to the wall. I would say it would go most of the day in the cold. It runs 3 days normally.