• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quiet !

sportfish

Not a lot of chatter on here everyone must be hunting . 

I have found a lot of scrapes already , lots of acorns ,  and the food plots look great . I'm slow playing it this year and not hunting much or checking the cameras much . I have never arrowed a deer in December so that's kind of my goal this year and that will give me time to eat down on the elk in the frezzer too . 

I think part of the lull is that the deer just don't leave the fields.  Right now, in my area, the corn and beans are flying out of the fields just as fast they can. I know of two nice bucks that were shot last weekend.  The lull does suck, and it is real, but I'm hoping that it's not as bad as the last couple of years and that the deer are still in the woods the next couple of weeks.  

my theory on the lull in the woods area is that we grouse hunt and if deer turn nocturnal more after the first weekend of rifle season from "pressure" of us walking into stands, what happens when me with two dogs scours the woods for grouse?  Deer doesn't know the difference and I'd bet that while a deer may lay down and let me walk by it, if the dogs are with that deer gets out of dodge.  My point is grouse hunting puts way more pressure on deer than deer hunting.  I'm sure this is part of the equation not the whole thing.

I do agree with that as well. We have a lot of squirrel hunters down here.  They do push the deer around and it does get human scent in the woods when there was none previous to that.  It puts them into alert mode much quicker.  A lot of people say to stay out of the woods before deer season.  I have 2 kids that love to squirrel hunt, so that is not an option, we are however, careful and quiet we walk through the woods. 

Just got out for the second time last night.  Opportunity  blown on a respectable buck, just lucky to have the opportunity as I walked up on him, he didn't notice until I drew back and my arrow made a sound on the rest as I was drawing. 

Checked cameras as well and activity is high, 103 pics, 80 are of antlered deer, and about 30% daylight.  The woods are torn up on this property as well.  Crazy number of scrapes.

I hope for this little fellow.

20151005_203843.jpg

I'm no deer psychologist, but I think part of the issue is that the woods change so much in Oct.  Not only are there more people in the woods, but the leaves are falling and eventually are all down.  I think this makes the deer more cautious just because their world changes so much.