• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall tactics

mrklean

Juan,    not real sure. Like the weather, seems like what I think would be optimum, turns out to be tough and vice-versa.  That said, I think once you get south of 60 , things pick up, but a lot of variables come into play. Big swings up and down can mess things up, like the warm up we have coming this weekend.   I guess I would prefer a slow drop from upper 50's to mid 40's.  One year, we had a day where crankbaits were hot in 42 degree water.

Normally I would be spending most of Oct. on the Croix, but this year they're doing repair on the dam and they pulled the pool down 9ft.,- boat ramps are un-usable, so i'll be spending more time fishing largies.   Today I found some biters in deep weeds - 10ft.  Not many, but a couple nice ones  - 18" and 19 1/2" on a t-rigged black trick worm. A few more on squarebill and nothing on a jig. Sunnies were skittering all over the lake, but I could'nt get bit on ANYTHING I dropped into them.  Frustrating.

rascal

Made it out last night and water was still 61-62. I think it needs to get into the 50's more before things pick up around here, fishing was slow. Your right Juan, they weren't in the weeds, not a bite on cranks. I was dealing a shutout until near the end when I picked up a couple. Luckily one was a nice 19.5incher that came on a chatterbait. 

Bass1100715.jpg

For as much hype as fall gets for being the best time of the year to fish, it's very hit or miss. If you hit them right then the outing can be epic, but more often than not it's tough. Spring and early summer are way easier and more predictable in my opinion.

For me Fall is about covering water until I find active fish and then slowing down and fishing the area well. Really no different from any other time. I start shallow and work my way out. I'll start with a topwater, crank, or some type of reaction bait to find them if my main areas don't produce and then slow down with a t-rig or jig to pick them apart. Big fish will come on a jig 9 times out of 10 for me. I had surface temps in the mid to upper 50's this past weekend and the fish were on. Fished a big rock flat with a crank and caught a few on Saturday, went back through with a jig and t-rig and cleaned house. 

Last night was definitely a miss for me. Thought with the warm temps it would be decent. I couldn't buy a bass, just ended up with a few hammer handles. Next time I guess. Water was around 56-57. Sunset is sure early, can only get about 2hrs in now after work!

Wednesday we went to Sartell to fish the section of Mississippi above the Sartell dam. With the St. Croix upper pool  pulled down, we wanted to fish another fall smallmouth river pattern. It was the first time on this stretch, so we hit the shore line throwing jerks, cranks and plastic to find a pattern. Fished a big chunk of water and fish came on a number of baits. A green-pumpkin twister was my best bait by far, tube for my buddy. We also got fish on pink x-rap and the two biggest at 17 and 18" came on a spinnerbait. Tough to pin down the best shore, but the bites were clustered - several doubles. Best concentration was on wood on an island up river. Water temp was 53-55 degrees. 20+ fish overall. Fun day on new water. 

Today I stayed on a local lake. Windy. Water temp was 55-57 degrees.  Started with a crank and ended with a crank - KVD 2.5  squarebill.   Tried a  jerkbait, spinnerbait, chatterbait and jig at various times, but all fish but 2 came on the crank.  A jig/pitboss got the biggest fish- 18" and one other.  Slowly working the crank through green weeds was what worked. Everything was less than 6 ft.  In the fall, I'll use a  crankbait to find weeds as much as to catch fish. If I find weeds that are hard to bring to the boat (lure rips free), those are good weeds, and should be worked with different lures. Strike King KVD squarebills fish through weeds better than any other crank I've used - try them.  No donkeys today, but 15 or so, with a half dozen over 16". 

The best time to get out is whenever you can.

rascal

Wednesday we went to Sartell to fish the section of Mississippi above the Sartell dam. With the St. Croix upper pool  pulled down, we wanted to fish another fall smallmouth river pattern. It was the first time on this stretch, so we hit the shore line throwing jerks, cranks and plastic to find a pattern. Fished a big chunk of water and fish came on a number of baits. A green-pumpkin twister was my best bait by far, tube for my buddy. We also got fish on pink x-rap and the two biggest at 17 and 18" came on a spinnerbait. Tough to pin down the best shore, but the bites were clustered - several doubles. Best concentration was on wood on an island up river. Water temp was 53-55 degrees. 20+ fish overall. Fun day on new water. 

Today I stayed on a local lake. Windy. Water temp was 55-57 degrees.  Started with a crank and ended with a crank - KVD 2.5  squarebill.   Tried a  jerkbait, spinnerbait, chatterbait and jig at various times, but all fish but 2 came on the crank.  A jig/pitboss got the biggest fish- 18" and one other.  Slowly working the crank through green weeds was what worked. Everything was less than 6 ft.  In the fall, I'll use a  crankbait to find weeds as much as to catch fish. If I find weeds that are hard to bring to the boat (lure rips free), those are good weeds, and should be worked with different lures. Strike King KVD squarebills fish through weeds better than any other crank I've used - try them.  No donkeys today, but 15 or so, with a half dozen over 16". 

The best time to get out is whenever you can.

rascal

I love that stretch of the river. Lots of fun and you can catch fish many different ways.

Hester,  Yeh, next time I'ld like to try some offshore stuff. We tried one spot offshore just before leaving and picked up a couple. Love learning new water.  Have you fished the next stretch up, the pool above Blanchard dam? How does it compare?

rascal