• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning Headlight Trick

Are your headlights not as bright as they used to be? got that yellowing or fogging on your lenses? Spray them with DEET and wipe off with a clean cloth and see the difference. I didn't believe it when one of my fishing buddies told me about this but it works slick. You don't have to have 100% deet but you can use deep woods off or a bug spray with deet in it. This works way quicker then trying to polish your lenses.

Edited by Bobby Bass

I'd be real careful with that, Bobby, as DEET actually melts the plastic. That's a fact...plus, it won't seal and protect from future yellowing like some of the restoration kits out there. But, whatever works for ya....you might want to finish it off with any good wax or polish. Meguiar's wax/cleaner works well when buffed on headlight lenses. :)

update, I did go ahead and clean my 16 year old headlights' with the spray and it surprised me how well it did clean, I did take Rebelss advice and followed it up with sealing the lenses with a plastic polish. I could see the difference in daylight will have to see what happens after dark.

I did the same to mine with just off bug spray. Before doing it, you couldnt see the bulb inside the lens, now it is almost  clear. Not quite new like, but close enough! And much better then it has been for many years, and it took all of 2 minutes if that, and it was free, since I had bug spray sitting around.

Okay you guys.   You have been warned. Headlight lenses are not longer glass and anything that eats plastic will do a number on them.  Break down and buy one of the kits. And buy some 4000 grit wet dry paper at same time. And then some Rain-X to finish the job.

You're welcome.

Update, it has been a week and my headlight lenses are still clean! They did not melt into a molten puddle of plastic. I must have perfect timing as there has been several articles written about the merits of Deet, well maybe the lack of merits. First off a few things I have learned. A small spray of bug spray on a soft cloth  and then use that to clean your lens is preferred to spraying the lens and allowing overspray around the lens. Wiping the lenses dry right after application and in my case I did use a plastic polish on the lens to seal them. I did this on a sixteen year old lens and I didn't have a lot to lose but did gain a cleaner much brighter headlight. New vehicle, go with the restoration kit. Also found out that this is not all that new of a trick and has been used by many. If you do it just be careful..

funny this came up, my 16 year old son got a used vehicle and yesterday I used windex, toothpaste, and a toothbrush on the headlights.

1.  spray some windex on

2. brush with toothpaste keeping lens wet

3.  wipe with dry cloth

4.  put a bit of wax on and polish

It worked great and no flossing needed.