• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Name tags on collars

Just a reminder for everyone to make sure you have your name and telephone number on your dog's collar.
Just before closing last night my old dog decided to take a roosters trail into the heart of a huge corn field. The wind kicked up just enough that I'm sure she couldn't hear me and darkness found me driving around the section putting word out to the locals that I had lost her.
I called home and my wife told me that a bowhunter had picked her up. She came out of the ditch, he stopped, and she jumped right in and curled up on the passenger side.
When I picked her up he told me that dogs get lost in the area all the time. If the owner can't be located and no one wants the dog.. It usually goes to the Humane Society.

Having my name and number on her collar made it simple.

Think, too, about getting an ID implant at your vet's office. They get registered nationally and will track down an owner -- of course, the finder has to suspect there might be an implant in order to get it checked. Police, dog pounds, and vets are aware of the program.

Good timimg on this. I lost my dog today in a corn field. It took us about 30 minutes and many blows of the whistle to find her. I was hoping not to have to go home and tell my kids I lost their playmate.

Thanks for mentioning this! I lost my GSP last year right at close of the day in a snowstorm. He was gone for about 4 hours. I never want to feel that again. This post reminds me that I need to do exactly what your sugggesting. Thanks

This is just something that was passed on to me, and makes pretty good sense. Most people have tags on their dog, and many have their dogs name on that tag. I've been advised not to have the dogs name on the tag, because it makes it easy for someone who may steal your dog to develope a relationship with it. A friend of mine had a short-hair stolen from him, name tag and all. frown.gif Just thought I'd pass this on.

Good Luck,
Rusty

I'll second Rusty's thought, do not put the dog's name on the tag. Just put your phone number. Same if you were to put an ad in the paper, no name just description and #.

Good dogs are valuable, knowing the dog's name, make them easier to resell, ect. Lost an Elk hound, he just disappeared. I think someone ended up with a great dog.

Sarge,
I think your dog enrolled in one of those wild packs down our way!!

Saw a small group of dogs hangin' out in a plowed bean field not far from your place. Didn't even think about seeing if any of your dogs were in there!

Jim W