• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mulch

roony

I hate weeds and even more so I hate pulling them. Every year I am tempted to use plastic mulch but I have read things in the past about how using plastic mulch really "smokes" the microorganisms that are important to maintaining good soil health. I usually use straw or wood shavings as mulch but the weeds find there way through them eventually. 

I thought I would just put this out there, I would like to read what some of you smarties think about this subject;

Thanks

Think it is probably like most things in life.....there is usually a good and bad to everything.....and how in your particular situation, do the plusses and minuses add up. I started debris mulching in everything the last two years. Conversely, to the plastic, it might cool the soil temperature for the heat loving plant too much,  but I hate weeding, and getting bit by bugs while weeding, and weeding when it gets hot and sticky out. Can also see where it might attract more plant eating bugs and fungus, but so far have not had any issues. And yes you are right, it does not stop all the weeds, but if you keep on it early before you lay the mulch down, you will have very little weeding the rest of the summer. When young, mom would make us lay newspaper or cardboard down before laying the mulch and that was very effective. Mrs P will not allow for that though because of the chemicals paper making process....so all natural I must go. Wish I had the money or probably would use huge rolls of Belton Green Stripe landscape fabric. Lay it out in the spring cut some holes it it to plant some plants and come back in the fall and eat.

My wife has used corn meal in her perennial gardens with pretty good results.  I think it was $40 for 50 lbs and that is a lot of material.   I bought the 'cumble' stuff that is like sand vs the other that is like flour.  It probably would work just as well in a food plot.  Got it at the Hugo Feed Mill and I suspect others would have it.