• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Last day

Hoyt4

Coming down to the last hours. I have been hunting all week after work have not been able to get out in the morning with some people sick at work. No big deal still getting out for about 3 to 4 hours of hunting each night. I really think I'm only hunting one bird but he has not shown up since Monday going to roost. The weather might have something to do with it not sure. So Wednesday night I made some calls and found a new chunk of land and was able to get out there Thursday night.

It great new woods to look at and just refreshed me. Birds were silent I called in 2 hens in at 5:30 with the boy friend in tow. Problem was the hens came in almost stepping on me and feeding around but he stayed out at about 70 yds and just would not come in . Strutting and drumming for over 30 minutes . They all finally went away. About 6:45 I called in a single hen she came in and feed around forever it felt like. I could hear drumming but could not pick out from were. I kept looking and slowly moving trying to find him after about 20 minutes I finally saw the tail problem was it was behind me and he is looking down at me. I could only turn my head so far and that sure hurts trying to look back like that for so long.

He walked down strutting and drumming while the hen feed out in front of me . This was my bad luck I would not be able to turn and get a shot how I wanted so I waited for him to spin in strut and I took aim left handed. His head pops up fast and I'm trying to settle the bead on him. Problem is I'm not left handed eek I let a shot go and missed 2nd hit but he is now in the air and I know for sure I did not come close. I better start practicing left handed. smile

One more day and I will go back out and give it a shot only have the night and have a blind packed for some rain if needed. Not my ideal season with the time I wsa able to hunt but I will take it better than not being able to hunt.

Good luck to anyone going out today and starting new season tomorrow.

Last spring I missed on my first two shots as the tom was standing on top of my decoy stomping it. I was shooting high so not to hit my decoy. Once he stepped off the decoy... well I wasn't worried about shooting my decoy anymore and he got a headache. smile

So it happens...

LOl

Oh I've missed before just never been caught in the situation were I could't get at least a good shot off and miss smile.

I was able to get out for the last 3 hours of the day Friday and lucky enough a bird showed up with one minute left to shooot. Last day ,last minute bird. I was able to get a picture the next morning. 22lbs 10inch beard 5/8 and 7/8 spurs

I'm amazed that I'm seeing so many birds on the ground until 830 or so. After all these years I do not remember them going to roost so late and beng in field still. I was seeing them on my way home most the week out this late.

ResizedImage_1430010902000_zpsce40e2ae.j

Thanks String

Got real lucky first time hunting that farm and just setup in the middle of a clover field. He just came by too close for that smoke pole. Really didn’t know where they roosted yet. Never got a chance to hunt a morning or evening to see where they went. Horseshoe was working.

___________________________________________________________________________________________