• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trolling down a mercury 150 4 stroke

Jaspernuts

How slow do you want it to go?

What RPM is it running at 2.8 mph? The troll control will get it down to 550 rpm minimum.

It's been a few months since I've been on the water but my 150 with smart craft troll control gets down to 2.2, I think, on an 18 foot alumacraft sport. I rarely run it that slow when trolling though.

Jasper

I have a 2014 crossover with the 150 4 stroke. I have troll control but not smart gauges. It does reduce the rpms to 550. (I took it in to shop to verify) I still am only able to troll down to 2.8 or 2.7.

Others on the forum have shared they can troll slower with out plates or socks. I have not figured out how yet.

Schubie

Drift socks are real easy to use. Are you talking back trolling or conventional trolling? if you back troll you do get slower speeds just because of the back of the boat creating more resistance. Trolling all day will run the batteries down but if you have an onboard charger they will recharge overnight. Are you looking for a specific speed to troll cranks?

I do have a bow mount, but if trolling all day that would toast the batteries. Are the socks easy to use?

You can drop a little speed by deploying the bow mount and turning it crossways. Adds drag.

There is a difference between drift socks and trolling bags. I have a 150 Horse ETec that I normally troll with spoons on Superior but if the need arises, I toss out on Amish trolling bag and that slows me down to 2MPH or less