• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2015 Lund Pro V 200 vs 150

Bothun

Purchasing a 2015 Lund Pro V 1875 here this spring and am torn between the 200 and the 150 Mercury. Have two friends that each have a 2014 with the 200 and its plenty of motor. Wondering if the 150 will be more than enough. The cost difference will let me put another graph in the boat.

It depends,what is the boat rated for?Do you fish big water with 3 or 4 others?Personally I wouldn't buy anything that isn't at least 80% of the max rating.My Dad ran a 17' fiberglass that was woefully underpowered for years & ended up blowing the motor up.

Min/max rating on that model is 130/200. Very basic rule of thumb is never go below 75-80% of max HP, which would put you right at 150 HP. If it was me, I'd go the 200 HP .If it's under-powered, well, you know....%$#@!

I have a 2009 18 foot lund Pro-V with a Merc 150 Verado. Very happy with it. I'm on lake Vermilion and never felt it under powered - even in heavy waves. If you go with a 200, it will be heavier and might not troll down as low (I can troll at just over 2 mph with my 150. Also, consider fuel economy at the speeds you will use most. Even though I can get over 50 mph, I usually cruise around 30 mph as the Verado only burns around 4-5 gal/hour at that rate. when you pay $130 to fill the tank, fuel economy is important.

I can't argue with the advice offered here... my only comment is that buying an outboard to match with a new boat is typically a 1X event for that boat... buying a new locator for a boat can happen a couple of times in the life of a boat. Don't short the motor decision to add another graph.. it'll be cheaper to upgrade / buy a new locator than to decide later it's underpowered and replace the motor.

marine_man

I had a 2003 Pro V IFS1875. Max motor back then was 175 and I had a Yam VMAX HPDI 175. It went 55-58 mph with a stainless prop. I'd have been fine with the 150 on it. Best part of the boat is how it takes waves frankly

I can't argue with the advice offered here... my only comment is that buying an outboard to match with a new boat is typically a 1X event for that boat... buying a new locator for a boat can happen a couple of times in the life of a boat. Don't short the motor decision to add another graph.. it'll be cheaper to upgrade / buy a new locator than to decide later it's underpowered and replace the motor.

marine_man

Couldn't agree more. I always say MAX your HP out. Then you will never have to wonder.

Now certain circumstances come into play here.

My dads new ZV21 is rated for a 350. Problem is you couldn't order one at the time. A 300 verado is actually only 280HP. A new 250 ProXS is actually _269HP. So in this case does it make sense to pay a dump ton more for that 300? NO....

The weight savings and better fuel economy of the Pro XS made it more practical.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather see a 350 on the back but its not my deal.

My question would be are we talking 200 4 stroke or 200 two stroke?

Also that 150 4 stroke is supposed to be a heck of a motor so that makes it tough. I don't know actual HP ratings for them either.

I previously owned an 1800 Pro V with 150 4 stroke Yamaha. The 150 worked well with the boat unless I had following large waves on bigger water. I currently have an 1875 w/ 200 Verado. The 1875 is wider and a bit (noticeable) heavier than the 1800. I am glad I don't have a 150 on it. At the time Merc had a free upgrade from 175 to 200 Verado so it worked out for me. You may save a bit now but will pay for it on re-sale. A lot of serious anglers won't look at a 150 on a 200 rated boat.