• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Low gear Baitcast Reels

bASS_BLASTER

One last outing on the ice this weekend and its preparation time for open water.

I currently have a 7'11" & Revo Premier Gen 3, 6.4:1 but I plan to throw DD. I mean DD's as in Strike King 10XD. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a lower gear reel. I used to be a diehard Shimano guy but technology has caught up and many mfg are just as good so these are what I've come up with:

Abu Revo Winch 5.4:1

13 Concept C 5.3:1

13 Concept A 5.3:1

Curado 200 I 5.5:1

Lew's BB-1 Pro Series Speed Spool 5.1:1

I'm still kicking this thing around because I'm not even sure I'll need it. Not sure how much of a difference will this make vs what I have, 6.4:1.

Any thoughts?

You really don't need it as you're only talking about 10% more line being gathered in with the higher ratio. The only thing with the lower gear ratio is it has more torque than the 6.4:1. If the reel sizes are the same you won't notice a difference in speed, honestly just reel the higher ratio slower. If you feel you have enough winching power with the higher ratio my opinion is you're just spending money needlessly.

From what I have read and heard about I would go with a Revo Winch or the Lews BB1. If you're throwing that big of a bait (8XD, 10XD) the extra torque of the lower gear ratio reel will help out.

I just recently purchased a 13 Fishing Concept A 8.1:1 and tested it out down in Mexico a couple weeks ago for my texas rigged lizard and let me tell you what...that thing is a beast! Love the design and the cork handle. I will definitely be purchasing more of these reels in the future. Not sure how their lower gear ratio reel is for deep cranking though.

Personally I hate, hate, hate throwing deep diving cranks on a high speed reel. The torque really wears on me and I think I have better control. But that's just me.

I use a Lews BB1 and love it. It was the only reel that could fully replace my old BB1 as a cranking reel. Part of the reason I like it so much is that it does not have instant anti-reverse. It's hard to explain unless you experience it but the difference in feel with cranks is significant. You're just more connected to the bait and can feel it better. (Plus when you pause a crank and a fish tattoos it and the handle snaps back to the anti-reverse dog so hard it you can hear it...well that's just cool.)

The other thing with BB1s, which is inherited from the original, is the distance between the line guide and spool. It is greater on BB1s than most reels. That might seem like a minor design detail, but it actually does have a fairly significant effect on casting distance. Most of the time when I'm fishing deep cranks it's bombs away, so the more distance I can squeeze out of a cast the better.

In the time between when my last original BB1 bit the dust (parts were impossible to get) and when the new ones came out, I DID use a Revo Winch, and it was a very solid reel for sure. Good casting distance, great drag. If it weren't for the BB1 that's what I'd be using. But I definitely prefer my BB1s.

RK, when you say high speed, do you mean 7+ or 6+?

Anything over 6.3:1. I've always used low gear ratio reels, although the old Curado 3.8:1 was a little too slow even for me... smile

Still rolling with an Abu Garcia c4 winch 3.8-1. Its a boss! They worm gear wore out and like it so much I got a replacement worm. Now it has 100 lb be aid and gets used for pulling double 13's for big toothed critters. I never put it down cuz I'm tired. Best bait caster I've ever bought.