• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Public comment surveys are available online

I read the survey and am wondering what's the purpose of this. If it's to merely let the public be involved and in some way share in the process I get it. If it's to take the data and use it in anyway I don't get it because the data has to be statistically flawed. I say that because the pool of respondents doesn't represent deer hunters in anyway that would be significant to a statistician.

Kind of like the Dewey/Truman presidential poll way back when. They phoned people to do the survey and wealthier people had phones back then and most of them were Dewey supporters.

I'm not saying they shouldn't offer this poll, I think they should because getting involved matters. Just curious how they use the data. Finally, in intro they still are saying we have about a million deer. 'Today we have about a million deer in Minnesota' We didn't have a million the day before archery opener, right now we have less than what that number was by X.

I read the survey and am wondering what's the purpose of this. If it's to merely let the public be involved and in some way share in the process I get it. If it's to take the data and use it in anyway I don't get it because the data has to be statistically flawed....

You might be more interested in the already completed surveys done recently by the University of Minnesota. They can be found at the same link in the first post, under the 'Resource and Links' tab.

Why wouldn't the survey be of any use the deer population does not belong to hunters , the resource is for the citizens of Minnesota to enjoy not just lic holders everyone that wants can send in their opinion sounds like the DNR is doing their job for the citizens

Why wouldn't the survey be of any use the deer population does not belong to hunters , the resource is for the citizens of Minnesota to enjoy not just lic holders everyone that wants can send in their opinion sounds like the DNR is doing their job for the citizens

Online surveys are invalid for a variety of reasons compared to a real random survey. The reasons should be fairly easy to come up with.

It's not that its not of any use. Statistically speaking it doesn't provide a random sampling. If the DNR wants a survey "for the citizens of Minnesota to enjoy" they would need to take all of those people throw them in a computer and randomly pick out, let's say, 1,000 and get their input. At that number the error rate is about 3% and if they ask the questions in a statistically non-biased manner they will have a survey that is statistically "Kosher."

If they are sending this survey to people in the email contact list it would include; people who camp at State Parks, fisherman, hunters, snowmobilers... It wouldn't include some family from South Mpls who isn't in their data base. The 83 year old couple from Baudette who doesn't use computers, you get my drift.

Sorry for getting this off topic, as OP threw out there take the survey if you want, read the info on the link.

From what I have heard the deer could use a little help so use some paper , sure the survey would be valid as the group would be people that care enough to take the time when they found the survey link , its just another piece of a large puzzle probably not a large influence but still valid .

From what I have heard the deer could use a little help so use some paper , sure the survey would be valid as the group would be people that care enough to take the time when they found the survey link , its just another piece of a large puzzle probably not a large influence but still valid .

It will be valid until some group decides to pound it and make it come out the way they want it to.

Are there really groups that would stoop that low as to force their beliefs on the DNR to get their way or try to change sound management of resources ,, maybe the DNR has in place some checks and balances to make sure that an agenda cannot be forced thru on the majority. Fill out the survey its there for all of us

http://www.mndeerdensity.com/

I agree. I'm going to fill out the http://www.mndeerdensity.com/ survey as soon as I get back tonight. http://www.mndeerdensity.com/ It's important for everyone to get their say and http://www.mndeerdensity.com/ give the system a chance to function http://www.mndeerdensity.com/ as it was designed.

Are there really groups that would stoop that low as to force their beliefs on the DNR to get their way or try to change sound management of resources ,, maybe the DNR has in place some checks and balances to make sure that an agenda cannot be forced thru on the majority. Fill out the survey its there for all of us

They are usually called farmers and insurance agents.

I read the survey and am wondering what's the purpose of this.

The DNR is holding public meetings right now to help set the population goals for deer for different parts of the state. Citizen committees have been formed to listen to the public comments, review the online survey results and review data submitted by the DNR. The groups will then have a couple meetings where they will try to reach a consensus on where the population goals should be set. Those recommendations will be submitted to the DNR, and they claim the recommendations will be utilized unless they are off the wall. I don't think they are as focused on the exact number of deer per square mile as they are with whether the herd size should be increased or decreased and by how much. If you can't get to the public meeting, complete the survey so your voice can be heard. The public meetings have already started, and the committee meetings start in a couple weeks so if you're going to complete the survey, do it soon. If you don't participate, you shouldn't complain.