• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lack of birds

ESSGuy

Is the lack of birds at my feeders this year because of the warmer winter? Normal winters I will have up to 20 cardinals each morn and eve. This year it's like 4. All birds seem down. Did see a small hawk chasing a cardinal back in December, not sure if this could be a factor?

I had plenty of birds until the nicer weather moved in. Now they feel they don't need me. frown I have a hawk come thru my yard every now and then and occasionally see him perched on my fence. I'm sure he lives in the area. Once he shows up, everything leaves. Once he departs, it takes only a few minutes or so for the birds to return. Unless a hawk lives in your back yard, I doubt he's responsible for your shortage. Each year can be so different.

Amen. Has been a slower year here too. Warmer weather and inconsistent snow cover are likely factors. Lots of juncos & blue jays but the cardinals disappear when the ground gets bare. Also less activity from the woodpeckers on the suet when it warms up. About the only bird that we see more of with warmer temps is the white-breasted nuthatch. Have been some small hawks appearing occasionally. However they move from one farmstead to another hopefully making life miserable for the house sparrows. Did see a half dozen goldfinches this a.m. First time since back in August.

Interesting!!! I've been crying about this for over a month or two, normally I have literally herds of birds in my yard/area, without feeders. NOTHING for the last month or more..my desk here is right against a window looking out back. Pine, spruce, birches, many bushes, ground cover, a LOADED crab apple tree (which I've NEVER seen this time of year; usually picked clean) even called a naturalist 3 weeks ago about it. Squirrels are still out; just no birds. No hawks, owls, habitat changes, construction, loss of water/ponds, etc, nothing to explain it. Always some BJ's, Cardinals and nuthatches out and about, always a lot of Red Polls, too. Did see 2 downy's hammering in Birch a week ago, and 2 Cardinals that like to sing by garage when my stereo goes on. They love it, that was today, but otherwise, nada. frown

Yesterday, I had one Gold Finch on a feeder for awhile and that was it. We got about 1/2 inch of snow overnight and Juncos, finches and sparrows have reappeared. I'm sure others will follow. In a couple days after the snow has melted, I'm sure I'll be back to zilch.

Odd relative to some years, isn't it? Dusting of snow overnight and now cardinals are back this a.m. Did a bunch of effective things a few weeks ago to dissuade house sparrows and wouldn't you know yesterday we'd see the first pileated woodpecker in several years. Unfortunately she about tore one small horizontal suet feeder out of the tree trying to get at it! Left two horizontal feeders but put back one cage type. No pileated yet but now the blankety-blank sparrows are back in numbers. Getting close to implementing the scorched earth policy with them. mad

After the November big 15 inch snow,we had full feeders.It melted and now there are few.Lots a feed in the wild for them.We do have 1 dove that haung around.The hawks take birds off our feeders at least once a month.Maybe more but I have to see it to make that statement.The birds are back in a short time.

As the day went on, my pair of Cardinals showed up along with many more of the little birds, a Blue Jay and even 3 Starlings. This is the first winter that I've had Starlings here. Strange what a little snow will do. Most of my feeders are in the open so it's not like it's easy pickings for them here after a snowfall.